To all those who are panic buying

Still really annoying seeing couples do their shop, it just needs one person!
I wondered about this. I had a text from 0A to say she had walked round to Morrisons but the queue to get in was at the subway. It must have been across and round the car park, and onto the street if it was maintaining 2m spacing.

She hasn't really been out all week. As I drive I could take her out shopping so she's out the house for a bit and to one that didn't have a queue, but then we would be "shopping together." Or she could say what needs buying and I get it on the way home but getting her out would mean a sort of treat for her and I'm working away next week.

I predicted this. The food waste collection in my area is under strain by the unprecedented amount of bread, meat and other perishable food. Meantime foodbanks are struggling.

Where is this?

These people should be named & shamed.... And prosecuted
Derby.

1585342472096.png

Just as a note, I was given two extra boxes of scoff of fresh fruit and veg when the local school closed and they were getting rid of it without wanting it to go to waste. I did a combination of curry's, casseroles, and salads and the only thing that ended up binned was one packet of bread rolls which I hadn't noticed had started to go mouldy so I had to bin them. I'd bought them.

Especially welcome was some lemons which went in some G&Ts this week.

I wonder if the big supermarkets can start live streaming some of their shelves.

Be nice to see if they have any Eggs or Toilet Roll before I take a 3 mile trip...:D

All those individuals that have bought far in excess of what they usually need should be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for creating this situation.

Online shopping is proving to be a real headache, what happened to prioritising home delivery’s and reducing the risk? What’s the point of having delivery slots two or three weeks up the road and then only being able to order a maximum number of items? On top of that, all the offers have been removed so your shop now costs even more. Supermarkets are profiting on this situation enough as it is, and it feels like they’re trying to do it even more by charging full price for many things that would normally be cheaper.

Seems the norm with the society we live in, that if you try and do the right thing, keep your head and act in a civilised way, you get penalised by all the a******* in life.

All those individuals that have bought far in excess of what they usually need should be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for creating this situation.

Online shopping is proving to be a real headache, what happened to prioritising home delivery’s and reducing the risk? What’s the point of having delivery slots two or three weeks up the road and then only being able to order a maximum number of items? On top of that, all the offers have been removed so your shop now costs even more. Supermarkets are profiting on this situation enough as it is, and it feels like they’re trying to do it even more by charging full price for many things that would normally be cheaper.

Seems the norm with the society we live in, that if you try and do the right thing, keep your head and act in a civilised way, you get penalised by all the a******* in life.

Our education system isn’t working in the maths department by the looks of things ?

Can't remember where I posted before now, there's too many threads :laugh:

But braved the Aldi earlier and it was the best one I've been in so far. Plenty of stock, only allowing so much of each item to be purchased, and only so many in the store at any one time. A one in, one out policy basically.

Hopefully this now means that all the supermarkets will be back up to stock and plenty for everyone by the end of this coming week.

However I won't deny that I'm still concerned that if we get some more measures implemented with regards to locking down further, we'll see pandemonium again as all the idiots scramble for stuff again.

I won't begrudge any store bouncers a Negan bat to wield at this time if necessary.

Can't remember where I posted before now, there's too many threads :laugh:

But braved the Aldi earlier and it was the best one I've been in so far. Plenty of stock, only allowing so much of each item to be purchased, and only so many in the store at any one time. A one in, one out policy basically.

Hopefully this now means that all the supermarkets will be back up to stock and plenty for everyone by the end of this coming week.

However I won't deny that I'm still concerned that if we get some more measures implemented with regards to locking down further, we'll see pandemonium again as all the idiots scramble for stuff again.

I won't begrudge any store bouncers a Negan bat to wield at this time if necessary.

I popped to our local Aldi yesterday. Waited outside for 15 mins and then had the best shopping experience I have ever had. Fully stocked and maybe 15 customers in the store. Everyone kept their distance and were polite and easy enough at the checkouts.
When this is all over I'm hoping some supermarkets keep this in place haha.

I did actually forget something so on the way home I did pop into our local coop they have signs up and markers on the floor but a family of four ignore all this while the toddler ran round and the older boy whizzed round on his scooter while the parents shopped oblivious to it all.
I've not taken my daughter to the shop for the past 2 weeks due to all this. Was quite surprised by some attitudes even after staff pointed it out.

Aldi certainly has a new customer going forward.

I popped to our local Aldi yesterday. Waited outside for 15 mins and then had the best shopping experience I have ever had. Fully stocked and maybe 15 customers in the store. Everyone kept their distance and were polite and easy enough at the checkouts.
When this is all over I'm hoping some supermarkets keep this in place haha.

I did actually forget something so on the way home I did pop into our local coop they have signs up and markers on the floor but a family of four ignore all this while the toddler ran round and the older boy whizzed round on his scooter while the parents shopped oblivious to it all.
I've not taken my daughter to the shop for the past 2 weeks due to all this. Was quite surprised by some attitudes even after staff pointed it out.

Aldi certainly has a new customer going forward.

Yeah I'm an Aldi biff now. No more mingling with the peasants at Waitrose and Marks and Sparks :D

The Tesco by mine is an Express one and they have put squares on the floor. No two people are meant to be in the same square at any one time.

Nice idea you'd think, but absolutely ridiculous in practice. The store is that small at the top end, if someone is standing getting something out of the fridge, everyone is stuck in the first aisle. And there's not enough squares, as they don't have anyone at the door controlling how many people walk in. I just ended up walking out, can't be doing with that kind of stupidity.

Started my shift at 10am and there was a queue all round the car park. Fresh and Produce all fully stocked now. Pastas and tinned food still low though. Then around peak afternoon/lunch time I started to notice the shop get busy, the guards had stopped regulating the flow of customers and my veg aisle was a contamination zone. I spoke to the security guards and they agreed but said the manager is allowing a maximum of 400 people in (!!!???!!!???). What's the point of social distancing at the door and the till if you're going to be shoulder to shoulder down the aisles.

Yesterday's shop was much better. A lot more items available to purchase. Of course everything is full price now, buggers. Lots of fish at the deli, but no one was buying!

Social distancing isn't working in these stores, though.

anyone know what time of day Tesco release slots for the next available delivery day?

I give props to my Supermarket for the measures they have introduced. Most customers try their best to give you space to work but plenty simply do not and it is a bit nerve wracking. 2 main issues for me are left. 1. As mentioned a little higher up the page that security is letting to many people in the store later in the day, they need to stick to the same routine all day limiting the numbers in store. 2. The staff where I work are working in pairs or sometimes 4 or 5 in a group all shift long. loads of them just stand shoulder to shoulder having a chat through the day keeping no distance at all and I'm sick and tired of many of them coming up to me for a chat or to gossip not respecting the 2 meter distancing and then getting moody with me when I politely tell them to back off a little, even my manager who knows I'm nervous keeps coming right up to me for a chat. Highly doubt I'm going to get through months and months of this without me catching it but hope I am wrong.

I give props to my Supermarket for the measures they have introduced. Most customers try their best to give you space to work but plenty simply do not and it is a bit nerve wracking. 2 main issues for me are left. 1. As mentioned a little higher up the page that security is letting to many people in the store later in the day, they need to stick to the same routine all day limiting the numbers in store. 2. The staff where I work are working in pairs or sometimes 4 or 5 in a group all shift long. loads of them just stand shoulder to shoulder having a chat through the day keeping no distance at all and I'm sick and tired of many of them coming up to me for a chat or to gossip not respecting the 2 meter distancing and then getting moody with me when I politely tell them to back off a little, even my manager who knows I'm nervous keeps coming right up to me for a chat. Highly doubt I'm going to get through months and months of this without me catching it but hope I am wrong.

It's people like you who I very much hope wont be forgotten when this is all over.

Society needs to re-prioritze those it celebrates. This Covid-19 mess has shown everyone what, and who, really matters. It sure as shit isn't the fat, greedy city folk...

Ocado boss Stuart Rose has questioned shoppers on what they are doing with a billion pounds-worth of food a week as panic buying causes mass hysteria across the country.

Queues of over 100,000 people have been spotted on the site most evenings this week as Brits compete over limited home delivery slots.

Pictures of food waste bins overspilling have also been shared on social media as much of the fresh produce gets thrown out.

It's got to stop,all this panic buying,surely the supermarkets can see if people,are just grabbing slots just for the sake of it,and if their had more than one del a week,refused them anymore ?
I have not seen any evidence that slots are booked due to "panic" internet buying. I think that too many people are call anything a "panic" as soon as slots as sold out or shelves are empty instead of considering whether it is simply a simple surge in demand exceeding supply.

Lots of people I know are quite reasonably trying to switch to on-line delivery to avoid going to the shops to cut their exposure and avoid queues etc. Even if all the supermarkets ramp up deliveries as much as they can they cannot deal with such a large proportion of the population wanting to switch to home deliveries.

I like Waitrose's approach. Anyone who had a delivery plan set up before 1 Jan 2020 can get one slot a week. That seems reasonable to me. A reasonable proportion of those people are also likely to be those dependent upon delivery.

I have not seen any evidence that slots are booked due to "panic" internet buying. I think that too many people are call anything a "panic" as soon as slots as sold out or shelves are empty instead of considering whether it is simply a simple surge in demand exceeding supply.

Lots of people I know are quite reasonably trying to switch to on-line delivery to avoid going to the shops to cut their exposure and avoid queues etc. Even if all the supermarkets ramp up deliveries as much as they can they cannot deal with such a large proportion of the population wanting to switch to home deliveries.

I like Waitrose's approach. Anyone who had a delivery plan set up before 1 Jan 2020 can get one slot a week. That seems reasonable to me. A reasonable proportion of those people are also likely to be those dependent upon delivery.
So you can’t book a slot at waitrose now if you are not vulnerable etc? How do they know if you are or not?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom