To all those who are panic buying

Speaking for the south east Northumberland area the supermarkets appear to be much calmer and pretty well stocked.
You could get just about everything this morning.
Normality is starting to return, at least as far as food shopping goes

Where are you referring to? Cramlington?

Still no joy in Newcastle area, no bread, no eggs, no toilet paper anywhere I've tried.

Why the fudge did holiday makers leave it so late to go back? It’s not like this just happened yesterday. They need to take some self responsibility for their actions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the fudge did holiday makers leave it so late to go back? It’s not like this just happened yesterday. They need to take some self responsibility for their actions as well.
The same argument could be applied to your average Joe who is scrambling around looking for food so late in the day when it's the vulnerable, key workers who need it the most.

The same argument could be applied to your average Joe who is scrambling around looking for food so late in the day when it's the vulnerable, key workers who need it the most.
??? Nothing alike in the context that was being discussed in.

But on that different topic, I would prefer to see food packages being delivered to each house hold in accordance with the registered number of occupants. I would prefer that over handing out money to people and letting them find it themselves. That way everyone gets an equal amount of basic necessities.

Where are you referring to? Cramlington?

Still no joy in Newcastle area, no bread, no eggs, no toilet paper anywhere I've tried.
Yeah Cramlington, the stuff that's missing like beer toilet paper cut loaves etc were all widely available early morning. They may have ran out later in the day but certainly available early on. I went to the larger asda in blyth about 8.30am ish yedterday and it was quiet and well stocked.

It's just crazy. He's just trying to do the normal weekly shop. He's got knackered hips and struggles to walk as well as having diabetes so he really doesn't want to go to the supermarket. Online shopping isn't going to work if he can't even get on the website though. Hopefully it'll quieten down over the next day or two because he's stuffed otherwise.

Has he tried registering here, not sure if he qualifies but might work

What kind of a dumbass goes on holiday whilst this is going on or even on going.
It's not a recent event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone needs food and anyone would die without it. Food and its provision has to be for everyone. The only issues have been with shortages caused by those who were not following advice and either stockpiling it or panic buying it.

The government has been recommending that people not travel abroad and or return home for quite some time now. Many countries simply are not allowing anyone to now enter or leave. Even if the UK government wanted to charter flights to bring people back, they may not be able to.

Chatting to a manager of Heron Foods this morning.

He says nationally there is plenty of everything, but the ordering and logistics is all over the place and will take a week or so to adjust. Stores which might have needed x are now only using y, and conversely stores which only needed b 2 weeks ago are now needing c.

But ordering is done nationally based on historical figures. They're all reacting more quickly to local, weekly figures now.

People appear to be changing what they are stockpiling each and every week. I could get milk (semi skimmed) and packets of Monster Munch without issue last week, but no go this week. Sainsbury's seem to be running out of individual packets of crisps, not the large packets but the regular sized variety. I guess that the hoarders fancy a change from rice and pasta?

Incoming news. Prince Charles has been diagnosed as having the virus.

Last edited:
Chatting to a manager of Heron Foods this morning.

He says nationally there is plenty of everything, but the ordering and logistics is all over the place and will take a week or so to adjust. Stores which might have needed x are now only using y, and conversely stores which only needed b 2 weeks ago are now needing c.

But ordering is done nationally based on historical figures. They're all reacting more quickly to local, weekly figures now.
Of course if people had just bought normally from the start then this wouldn't be happening.

What problem? I thought generally anybody in the food chain was considered a key worker. We'd barely notice any change.

What problem? I thought generally anybody in the food chain was considered a key worker. We'd barely notice any change.
People buying from different shops, geographically speaking.

Possibly yes, although I'd still guess most would be going to their usual shops. Obviously nobody actually knows this but I can't see why many people would drive to a different shop compared to their regular one.

Possibly yes, although I'd still guess most would be going to their usual shops. Obviously nobody actually knows this but I can't see why many people would drive to a different shop compared to their regular one.
Prior to this all happening, I did most of my grocery shopping from Adli and Home Bargains. Now I'm doing it almost exclusively via Tesco online. People's habits will have changed drastically pretty much overnight.

Please forgive what is doubtless a silly question
Can anyone please advise if these kill covid-19?
These claim anti-bacterial but make no mention of anti-viral
My partner is being instructed by her boss for anti-covid-19 cleaning in a care home
They are also being provided to customers in Aldi for wiping down trolley handles etc

Attachments

• IMG_9288.JPG
    IMG_9288.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9289.JPG
    IMG_9289.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9290.JPG
    IMG_9290.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 36
Any alcohol based spray or wipe and or disinfectant should do the job.
Remember soap and water is good too. A virus doesnt survive too long on a surface maybe 24 hours its spread though being airborne or by touch from a surface where its typically landed within 24 hours

Unlike bacteria, viruses aren't "alive" in the normal sense of the word. They don't multiply alone, grow on surfaces or even make their own energy. With any wipes effectively you are just wiping 'em off rather than wiping 'em out - all the ones listed there will work to clean up.
As an aside, bacteria have to be killed as they will grow on their own - hence "Anti-Bacterial". As stated alcohol and chlorinated chemicals work nicely, which is what you have on most of those wipes.
Did you know bacteria get viruses?

Prior to this all happening, I did most of my grocery shopping from Adli and Home Bargains. Now I'm doing it almost exclusively via Tesco online. People's habits will have changed drastically pretty much overnight.
Ah yes, the online stuff must have made a huge difference.

Typical that when I need a new filter for the S10 NBC respirator I cannot find one in stock anywhere :(

People appear to be changing what they are stockpiling each and every week. I could get milk (semi skimmed) and packets of Monster Munch without issue last week, but no go this week. Sainsbury's seem to be running out of individual packets of crisps, not the large packets but the regular sized variety. I guess that the hoarders fancy a change from rice and pasta?

Incoming news. Prince Charles has been diagnosed as having the virus.
Part of it is the supply chain variation too. The milk and monster munch lorries are probably full of bog rolls this week. I wouldn't like to be working in production forecasting or logistics planning at the moment. I hear Eddie Stobart have brought Mystic Meg in. 😎

Just been out to pick up essential bits and it was an absolute pleasure to shop!!!!

We have the second largest M&S in the country I believe, obviously only the foodhall open. IT was pretty much fully stocked and I have never seen it so quiet, barely 30 odd people in there I would say. All keeping distance and tills setup to allow for distancing.

Quicky run to sainsburys afterwards for bits I couldnt get in M&S and it was just the same, quiet, not as stocked as M&S but still managed to get all I needed

Costco Coventry had its act together this morning.
  1. Bog rolls on stock
  2. Supervised queues and checkouts asking people to space properly
  3. One masked lady spraying trolleys BEFORE you took one, as opposed to Tesco who a couple of days ago left a spray bottle for all to share 🤒
  4. Limited number in store
  5. A community policing officer was around at opening and buggered off when he saw there was nothing to do
Nice one Costco.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom