Quantcast

To all those who are panic buying

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Impressed they've all got their act together so quickly.

Hopefully those people who can afford to are buying sensibly and getting a few week's worth of stuff at least to keep traffic down.

Longy00000

I'm fortunate to have some reasonable resources behind me but I havent bought anything other than what I would normally get bar some toilet rolls as I knew my daughter and her family were struggling to get some so dropped them off for her.
I typically shop twice a week and just buy stuff for the next few days.
I shall continue to do so as that is my normal pattern, something lots of others could have done too. Follow their normal pattern and this thread wouldn't have even existed.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I shall continue to do so as that is my normal pattern, something lots of others could have done too. Follow their normal pattern and this thread wouldn't have even existed.

Maybe safer to just limit it to once per week rather than increasing the chances of catching the virus or even spreading it if you have it?

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I'm fortunate to have some reasonable resources behind me but I havent bought anything other than what I would normally get bar some toilet rolls as I knew my daughter and her family were struggling to get some so dropped them off for her.
But 100,000s more would likely be infected by the virus. The Govt wants us to stay at home. By going out shopping twice a week you're putting yourself and others at far more risk than a minor food shortage panic ever would.

Sandyb01

But 100,000s more would likely be infected by the virus. The Govt wants us to stay at home. By going out shopping twice a week you're putting yourself and others at far more risk than a minor food shortage panic ever would.
In some places there isn't enough to buy a weeks worth of supplies.
Around me in central ish London, the 4 big brand mini supermarkets certainly dont.
So I've popped out almost every day at 7am, grabbed a few bits, when there is virtually no one around, and stayed at home (dog walk aside).

Its not always possible at the moment to shop once a week, although if it were, that should be the way to go I agree of course.

** for context, I have an empty room for a kitchen, as I am in the middle of a kitchen refurb, and while the room is ready for its installation, it's been postponed for obv reasons, and likely wont happen for a couple of months at least. Not a comfortable position to be in.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Just been to the shops. Pretty well stocked, except no Toilet Roll again in either the Sainsbury's, Tesco's or Home Bargain. Couldn't be bothered going anywhere else.

The staff in Sainsburys said people are still buying it up, even though there's the limit on purchases. Nearly every single person that's been in since this morning she said buys it. And not every single one of them will need it for sure. They've probably got plenty already at home.

Numpties everywhere still.

Last edited:

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Just been to the shops. Pretty well stocked, except no Toilet Roll again in either the Sainsbury's, Tesco's or Home Bargain. Couldn't be bothered going anywhere else.

The staff in Sainsburys said people are still buying it up, even though there's the limit on purchases. Nearly every single person that's been in since this morning she said buys it. And not every single one of them will need it for sure. They've probably got plenty already at home.

Numpties everywhere still.

dib

Suspended
What I find fascinating is the number of people who live week to week. Granted there are financial constraints for some people which can't be dismissed or underestimated, and I know I have almost OCD when it comes to providing for my family, but why wouldn't people have at least a week or two redundancy in their food and provisions supply? Especially those who are vulnerable. For the last 15 years I don't think I've ever had less than 4 uht milks in the cupboard or a stash of paracetamol in case I come down with something.
As you said OCD, not a universal problem.

IronGiant

Mrs IG popped up to the Co-op to pick up some milk, the shop was well organised for social distancing but 3 morons were having a conversation right outside the entrance for no discernible reason. :facepalm:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Mrs IG popped up to the Co-op to pick up some milk, the shop was well organised for social distancing but 3 morons were having a conversation right outside the entrance for no discernible reason. :facepalm:
That's where everyone needs a Negan bat. I'm sure even Mrs IG can wield one of those.

Sooner or later the people will learn.

ds8819

Standard Member
I saw this message posted by The Sala Group (they are a chain of restaurants in southern Spain) to all members of the medical profession based between Marbella and Benavista on the Costa del Sol -
Credit to the Euro Weekly News Spain Costa del Sol News Article...
( It transpires that several of my previous posts have been removed because I did not credit the source of information that I shared, so here it is. It would have been preferable for me to have been contacted to enable me to edit these posts rather than have them removed so I hadn't wasted my time and effort)

La-Sala-Group-message-2.jpg

"The Sala Group would like to share this opportunity to express their gratitude to all of you, for your hard work and commitment during this challenging time. As a token our appreciation we will prepare and deliver a quantity of meals to your home FREE of charge during the lockdown period."

"Doctors and Nurses in the Marbella Community, please reach out today and allow us to take care of you!
Request your FREE meal by emailing with your name, address and copy of your Medical Work ID. Stay home, Stay Safe."

It's reassuring that there are some businesses that acknowledge the medical profession for what they do and step up to the plate to give welcomed support.

The lockdown in Spain is seriously comprehensive...1 person only is permitted to undertake URGENT business, collecting medication or shopping. Only 1 person allowed in a vehicle and this is rigidly enforced by the police. No jogging, walking about or socialusing is permitted at all.
There are 30,000 road blocks in Spain to prevent illegal movement.

Anyone ignoring the shutdown are fined €700, any business flaunting the lockdown are fined €60,00 - €300,000.

People and the government are taking this very seriously indeed.

..... there is no panic buying either, and the lockdown is rigidly complied with by people, except of course the selfish Benidorm British lager louts who were rushing from supermarkets with trollies overflowing with booze, then congregating in the streets guzzling their bounty chanting " we've got the virus, we've got the virus",...disgusting morons.

... Meanwhile in the UK our dithering government adopt an unbelievable blase " let's wait to see what happens" approach.

Our NHS staff are unappreciated, abused by nasty people and the government, expected to work long hours under immense pressure with little if any protection whilst being repaid for their loyalty by not only still having to parking fees at the hospital, but to also add insult to injury, many are leaving work exhausted to discover a parking fine slapped on their windscreen by the greedy money grabbing extortionist parking companies.

Recently, shop workers have been spat at, as have the police, I saw a video clip of a low life ars*h**e posting a video of him licking along a row of cartons of milk in a supermarket (hopefully this will have considerably increased his chance of contracting the virus).

Morons torching Iceland food delivery vans in Bristol, London tube trains jam packed with people crammed face to face with no hint of masks or social distancing, maurauding queues at shop doorways of selfish mememe stockpilers.

I have to say I am not proud to be British ..... we have become the fools of the world.

Why can't the idiots of society realise that there is a timebomb ticking which will have a devastating effect on families, loved ones and communities?

The time to wise-up is now, not when the new hurriedly constructed field hospitals and morgues are overflowing and deaths escalate beyond control.

Enjoy your isolation, you and your families loved may depend on it.... it is the best chance you will get to survive, there is no antidote.

Respect yourself and others well-being by acting responsibly.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

JulianDS

Our whole household has to ‘shield’ (other half is part way through chemotherapy for cancer). We can’t leave the house, are ok for a couple more weeks but can’t book delivery anywhere online - this week we have tried getting through to Sainsbury’s but no luck despite ringing over 1000 times in last 3 days!
hopefully we’ll get someone to shop for us, but have no nearby friends, so they will have a bit of a journey.
I’m hoping that it’ll settle down soon for the shops...

Oh and people were generally very well behaved. I was surprised though to see only one other person wearing a FFP2 mask. None of the staff were wearing them. But the staff were hot about distancing. Markers were on the floor. Not more than one person by the till either.

There was one person oblivious to it though and just jumped in. The staff quickly told him where to go.

Definitely gave me the confidence to leave it for a while again. But silly me bought parsnips but couldn’t get a chicken for a roast dinner. Oops.

Also got a few bunches of flowers for in the house. They smelled nice and made my wife smile when I got back 😍👍

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member

mark1080p

I was so occupied to ensure i have food and medicine for the family I forgot all about booze. I am still in isolation so can’t go to my local off licence or coop. No deliveries available until mid April.

Any recommendations where I can get next day delivery on beer or wine?

deans6571

...enough with the scare tactics. 🙄

Loads of people are reporting (on various DIFFERENT social media platforms) that many supermarkets do ACTUALLY now have FULL shelves of the essentials, now that the initial ‘panic’ is subsiding and supermarkets are limiting the number of people who can enter the premises at any one time.

It’s posts like these (and the empty shelves posted in the media) which caused the panic in the first place.....

Latest News

TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Display to quit LCD production
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony XH81, XH80 and X70 TVs now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV sales rise as UK stays home
  • By Andy Bassett