TO ALL THOSE SUFFERING FROM POOR WIRELESS!

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by apolloa, Apr 14, 2016.

1. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Sky has announced ANY Sky broadband customer can now buy the new Sky Q Hub which means you get the same wireless tech as any other ISP provided router which should also mean better wireless coverage:

Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers - ISPreview UK

You can even order the new Hub online according to the new story. The Sky Q Hub basically has the same wireless setup as the Home Hub 5 from BT and some reviews have said it offers a significantly better wireless signal then the old Sky Hub:

Sky Q Hub review: Finally, Sky makes a router that doesn't suck

2. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    I wouldnt bother. Ive had the new Q hub for a while now and the wireless is poor compared to the old hub.

Im troubleshooting the issue now, but wireless devices within the same room as the hub max out at 2.5Mbps on speedtests. The signal barely reaches the next room, which was easily covered by the previous hub.

3. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Then you need to split the 2.4 GHZ frequency from the 5 GHZ frequency and change the wireless channels. And plug a device in with an ethernet cable to check the speeds getting to your router.
    The Sky Q HUB has FAR FAR FAR better wireless tech then the older models.

4. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    I've got the new Q Hub and after coming from using a Virgin Superhub 2 I'm also disappointed with the wireless.

Range seems OK but not amazing but speed seems pretty poor. Getting about 37mb wired (router syncs at 39995) but only 18-24 wireless on the 5ghz band (I've split the 2.4 and 5 bands already).

Starting to think mine is faulty as I never got such a drop off before with previous routers.

5. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,490
    ISP provided kit usually lacks features and performance. I prefer to switch it to modem mode, if possible like VM's Super Hubs, and use a separate router. I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U at the moment with VM's SH2 in modem mode on their Vivid 200 service.

6. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Try turning off the WPS button and stand next to the router when you run speed tests then go out from there testing. You've probably got five devices on wireless too.

7. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Thanks - I've tried it 10 inches and 10 feet away, with one device connected and about 15 devices connected - results are all the same. Even tried buying an access point and turning off the hub's wireless - results still around the 20 - 25 range with the occasional 30.

Used a Wi-Fi analyser app also and I have a lot of congestion on 2.4ghz but only my connection on the available 5ghz list.

There must be something in the vicinity of the Hub that is causing the drop off - its not a huge issue as wired results are around 36 - 37 as expected. What's strange though is I had a VM Superhub 2 in exactly the same location and Wi-Fi results were consistent with very minimal speed drop from a wired connection.

8. SteveLA

SteveLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    The sky q hub is dreadful, nothing but drop outs all the time. Don't bother buying one. Old hub was way better and now I'm stuck with a router that sucks.

9. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I would suggest you get a replacement from Sky then as the old router has 133mbps 2.4GHZ wireless N with 2 antennas compared to the Sky Q Hub with 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ with MIMO and 2X2 and 3X3 multiple antennas.
    Even this review claims it offers better coverage and faster speeds:

Sky Q Hub review - A well overdue router upgrade

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I guess you'll have to play around with the settings. Did your Virgin hub have the 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies on different SSID names?

11. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    how much is the sky q hub , on its own ?

I managed to get one today for free (6.95) postage

I phoned to cancel everything including tv and I managed to get my fibre and line rental for £22.40 a month for a year and cancelled my tv package , I was very surprised to get a sky q hub as I thought you could only get one with the sky q package

12. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Sky started giving the Sky Q HUB on April 14th as per my first post here...
    I believe it's their standard cost for Sky routers of £69 which isn't bad considering, but then you can argue your way down from there.

13. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    Thanks for that just read the link I must of missed that ,

It states £99 but drops to £59 when you add it plus postage

14. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,013
    Two ethernet ports though :( that's really quite a pain for me, but such a shame, as 5Ghz would be perfect otherwise!

15. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Ive done this after reading that somebody else had tried it, and its still got problems.

Speedtests via ethernet get me 35Mb ish. On wireless in the same room the results are slightly less. In the bedroom i get results as low as 3Mb. I can barely watch youtube videos without either setting low quality or buffering. This was never an issue on the previous router. I used to watch lots of youtube, netflix and amazon in the bedroom. Its simply pointless even trying to watch something in the bedroom now.

Also it still seems to be assigning multiple devices the same ip address which is no doubt causing problems. If the connection on one of my devices seems slow or unstable, i check the connected device list only to find that 2 devices have the same ip address. Ive resorted to assigning static ip addresses to my most used devices, hopefully this will help but is far from ideal.

16. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,824
    Can't the SkyQ hub be replaced with an alternative from another manufacture ?
    I guess I am asking if something like the 'Billion' router/switch ?
    I am asking as in all honesty having the new SkyQ hub for a couple of weeks now and it's terrible.
    I need to connect up more items via Ethernet than the 2 Ethernet ports provided !!
    Can I use an Ethernet switch ? I was thinking that I might be able to plug in an 8 port Ethernet switch and at least that would cure one issue but in all honesty I would love to be able to change the actual router to something with a bit more oomph and a few Ethernet ports.

This is what I was thinking of,
    Amazon.co.uk: billion 7800 dxl

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  17. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Hmm I don't know then? I have since read that it's not too easy to separate the channels on the Sky Q hub. In typical Sky fashion it's locked down. I guess see if you can get a wireless Sky Q booster? Or make one of your Sky Q TV boxes a WiFi hotspot extension as the homeplug feature has been enabled on Sky Q now, so I've read.

If you have no Sky Q TV boxes then maybe you can if you can get your username and password, if you have the full Sky Q TV system I'm not so sure you can? But you should be able to use the Sky Q as a modem and then connect a wireless router, I don't think it has a modem mode but you can still do it, plus it has gigabit ethernet ports.

18. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Ive just found out how bad the black box is,Is the only way to get better wifi is to get the sky Q box? If i connect through hardwire i get 37.63 around that but if i place my laptop right in front of the box amd go wifi i get different results ranging from 30.53 to 27. If im connecting upstairs with wifi its hit and miss sometimes i get a good speed sometimes i dont.

19. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590