1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To All Plasma Users/off-air Tv Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Blu-rayx, May 13, 2002.

1. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    i'll keep this simple.

how do you fined viewing off-air broadcast using sky or itv-digital(RIP),because they all look awfuf in the shops.

thanks guys :)

dvd

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hum, haven't seen anyone mention terrestrial as yet...?

3. nickf

nickf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got no problems with DTT - watching through TiVo obviously gives a bit of pixellation, which is more obvious because of the size of the screen, but watching live is great.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also be interested to know what "Normal" viewing is like on Plasma screens, in everyday situations,

I saw Coronation st playing a while back, and it looked pretty good, although I see some rumblings of discontent of the forums.

so come you Plasma owners, are you a happy bunch with normal viewing??????????

5. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had Sky installed (Grundig Box) after the demise of ITV Digital and am very pleased with the result. Its currently set up to output composite through the scart into my amp, (although I have the option for S-Vid which I will connect shortly), then into an iScan Pro de-interlacer before going into the component inputs on my Fujitsu 4229. The iScan is the key to the quality I'm getting and really does a great job on composite feeds converting from the interlaced composite signal of the Sky box to 576 progressive YUV.

6. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terrestrial picture on my TH42 is awful. I get it through a bleedin expensive (in its time) Panasonic SVHS vcr. The picture's really grainy but bearable (thank God, else I'd be in something deep with her...). I have other good quality VCRs and they're all just as bad. I have an analogue cable box. The vcr picks out the terrestrial channels from the RF feed just like it would a normal rooftop aerial. If I set the cable box to a terrestrial channel and set the vcr to the cable box, the picture is noticeably better, but still crap. I could do it this way most of the time except it would prevent us recording one whilst watching another. Sky channels are acceptable, in fact, pretty good in comparison. I also have 2 rooftop aerials, and they give bad terrestrial pics too.

Strangely, or not, before I got the TH42 I had a Panasonic 36in PL30 for 3 weeks before I returned it for exactly the same reason. Having 2 aerials and a cable box, all giving good pictures on my old 28in, I was convinced the tv was at fault.

Weighing up all the pros and cons, I'm happy trading off the stunning dvd picture, the size, and a reasonable Sky picture against a just watchable terrestrial.

7. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is the general feel that sky signals are out if you aspire to own a plasma????

this is not good news

Andy Bird

8. JUST BRING IT

JUST BRING IT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Fujitsu PDS4222 and am running NTL analogue through it via composite - its cr@p!

DVD - superb (and thats only S-video).

I'm ditching NTL and going for sky + box and will use RGB scart to 5-way (R,G,B,V,H)!

9. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let us know if you get a better picture

andy

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It's a shame terrestrial appears to be poor, I like analog images.
    But the NTL/Telewest boxes having a poor image doesn't surprise in the least. I have one as a backup from a phone package and that is grainie on a normal set. Hence I went back to the roof aerial and bought Sky - well, hired Sky!

11. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hence I went back to the roof aerial and bought Sky - well, hired Sky!

and..... (please select from the following)

a) ...sky and the plasma was a joy to look at

b) ...you would have to be stupid to spend four grand on a plasma and expect a decent picture from a sky box

we need to know this is mega bucks were talking about here.

Andy

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Andy, DVD

The general feedback I get from our customers using 42" and 50" panels is:

Terrestrial - none too hot, not surprising really when you see the video spec for most terrestrial tuners; the plasma has to fill in a lot of blank lines even on a 480 line display.

SKY Digital - can be a mixed bag.

Movie channels - can look pretty good and some look very good; the best look near to mid range DVD quality.

Documentaries and soaps - tends to show who is using old footage and who is using up to date material; Steve and Norm look fine but a bit soft :)

Sports - bit of a nightmare really; though not much of a problem for anyone not into footie. SKY sports is a particular problem and can look pretty poor once they start to have loads of on screen graphics and picture in picture features going.

On the other hand some of the snow, surf and motorsports stuff can look pretty good.

In general most customers are pretty OK with the limitations of SKY Digital with the few who really find it a problem looking to use an external processor to improve the picture if possible.

Best regards

Joe

13. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    so,andy are you to thinking of getting a plasma, if so which one are you thinking of ?

dvd

p.s thanks to everyone for their input keep them coming :)

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering if mains powered aerial boosters are any good in any of these situations? also just read in latest hcc mag. that if a plasma set is tilted too much or lay down, it dies forever, be careful if your moving house.

15. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch normal TV programmes via an NTL (Pace) digital cable box via a John Simm RGB/VGA converter in to a Panny 42 (Grey) and can report as follows:

1) The 5 main channels and all new BBC/ITV digital channels - on the whole excellent. New programmes not far off DVD quality and in proper widescreen. Older programmes can suffer from grain. Oddly enough, I find one of worst quality pictures is the BBC national news (but local news is excellent). Films and documentaries excellent. Sport can vary - I find BBC best but I do not have Sky Sports.

2) Other digital channels such as Discovery and National Geographic are normally very good but do not broadcast in widescreen. I tend to watch them in stretched 16:9 mode which degrades the picture slightly but they can be watched in 4:3 if preferred.

The general rule with plasmas is that if the original source is bad the picture will be very bad. If the original source is good. the picture will be very good. Good quality cabling is essential.

Finally, for the record, although I do not watch analogue, the terrestrial picture through my VCR is surprisingly good although of course not proper widescreen.

16. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I think this applies to all large screen display devices, not just Plasmas. Try watching a poor source on a 50"+ rear projection set.