1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all Mission FS2AV owners: Are you happy with your speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tk2001, Jan 5, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've had this speaker set for over a month now and I am only just 'satisfied' with it for the time being.

I brought it because it was so cheap (around £440 from Empire Direct) and because of the countless awards it won.

I'll admit, when I first powered every up for the first time (after connecting everything up), I was hoping for far better sound quality than what I got - the 5.1 speaker set I previously owned was the PC Cambridge Playworks DT3500 and IMHO, the sound quality from that budgit set was comparible.

My FS2AV speakers are connected to my Marant SR-5200 av receiver but somehow the FS2AV satelites seems somewhat underpowered.

Overall, for the price I paid for it (£440 as opposed to the retail £800) I suppose I can't compain but I was expecting a little bit more though.

To other FS2AV owners, please express your opinions on these speakers.

2. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had mine for about 3 months now and am more than happy with them for what they are and do. I too paid just over £400 and the main reason was the fact that i needed something discrete after moving into a small 1 bed flat (previously had a Tannoy Mercury setup)

I could spend time picking faults such as the weak midrange, the slight harshness on the top end - but thats probably got just as much to do with other factors such as my amp (sony940) and player (sony735). Oh, and I do have to crank the sony up a fair wedge compared to the Tannoys.

Overall for the price, they're great.

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    absolutely no problems with mine... though you do have to have them connected to a decent amp with a fair bit of power... and a higher volume level than my previous speakers (sensitivity?)

they definitely sound better with better equipment though...

bigggggg improvement going from Sony str925 amp (older model before the 930/940) to a new Denon 2802...and another improvement going from a Pioneer 717 to a Denon 2800 dvd player..

what dvd player or cd have you got?

setup correctly, they should slaughter any PC derivative speakers though...definitely.

can't remember which end of the range your Marantz is at... what max power rating does it have? any dip switches on the back for the speaker load /ohm settings... or related?

also how have you got them installed... wall-mounted or stands? think it says somewhere in the instructions that having them near to a wall gets better mid/ high end.

also where have you got the sub in relation to front L/R,
    and set to what sub volume and bass contour level?

you can tune the sound accordingly with these two controls... from very sharp/ tiny to bassy/ smooth as you require it - could make them sound awful if set wrong.

NB the manual does recommend you use a stereo signal to set the right levels for these, starting from half way on both.

Set right they should sound excellent...

mine sound positively holographic in stereo... with a wide variety of music... (films are similar obviously).

4. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My Marantz SR-5200 is capable of outputting a maximium of 90W per speaker channel so power isn't really an issue yet.

For watching DVD movies, I use a Sony DVP-735 dvd-player and pictures are excellent.

Due to my living-room being a medium-size rectangular room, I have to stick my 42in RP TV in the corner of the room and because there isn't enough room to stick the centre speaker on top of the actual TV itself, I have to place all 3 front speakers just slightly in front of my tv. My subwoofer stands upright in the far left-hand corner of the room and my settings are just below half on bass, and full on contour (I still haven't worked out how the contour affects the bass).

I have my rear-speakers mounted onto the back of the living-room wall, so its just the on the same level as my ear level.

I was watcing Tim Burtons Planet Of The Apes yesterday through DTS and wasn't really impressed with the movie soundtrck at all - I was much more impressed my 'The Gladiator' and ' The Mummy Returns' sound track.

Is my setup ok, and is there anything I can to make them sound better? Different bass & contour settings perhaps?

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the marantz is fine... similar to mine... 90W per channel is perfect.
    though as I said I used to goto 2-4 volume wise on my old Sony with Tannoys, 3-6 with the Missions before I got the Denon.

the Sony dvd player is fine.

okay some assumptions I'm making...

re: the front speaker location... I presume you have the correct distance or delays set for the individual speakers.... and a decent distance between the left/ centre/ right to get a good wide soundstage...(10ft up say).

NB if you could move the l/c/r speakers back against something (wall?), they will get a better mid/ highend sound... are these all on the stands supplied?

the sub location sounds good but the levels ... obviously not right based on your "dislike" of the sound currently.

you should start half on volume, half on contour,
    then test it with a stereo source (NOT DVD 5.1) to get your "preferred" sound... try 4-5 different pieces of music..
    ie... from something quiet/simple upto something big/bold to get your "range".

not necessarily your favourites you understand, but styles really...

for example I had found a great piece of very simple double bass music (just by itself) that really tested the bass... I was actually able to rattle the speakers so much that I realised that one of the cosmetic end pieces wasn't connected properly.. THAT deep!

e.g. if you lower the sub vol to nothing the speakers will sound awful... very tiny, like bad fm radio but depending on the mounting/location of the speakers you can go well below half to around quarter past/ twenty past if you do like a sharp/ detailed sound (not in your case, probably the other direction).

I'd try it at half/ half but both volumes, and edge the bass volume as you test it with a CD till it sounds right on everything. should start hitting the sound you want at some point since the speakers are flexible to your personal taste.

after the CDs, then move to specific DVD scenes and see what results you get.

I also assume you've got the amp set to use a sub in the setup and are hooked upto the sub input phono, the bass set to lfe+ mains & all speakers to set to large.

assuming this lot is done.... you should now be cooking.

I've got/ had the 3 disks you mention and can vouch for them all sounding great...

BUT...

FYI, I've always bumped the centre & rear levels up...
    anywhere from say +2-6 on the centre, +2-4 on rears... (not sure of scale on your amp). purely personal but brings dialog and rear effects out more... and gets umph at the right times.

though be careful with some DTS tracks that are recorded extra LOUD.. can then sound out of balance (some music ones and older disks for example).

hope this helps..

6. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of purchasing a new Av system - was thinking about the Marantz 5200 and Mission FS2 as part of it - just wondering how have u found them now you have had them for a while - would you recommend this combination????

DVD player will be pioneer 545

Thanks

Djinn

7. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the FS2AV's coupled with a Pioneer 636 and Yammy 800RDS, sounds fine to me.

8. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've had my Marantz receiver and Mission FS2AV speakers for over two months now.

Are the two great combinations?
    Well, for the price I paid for both of them yes, but the speakers need to be set-up properly to be able to sound decent.

The Marantz is capable of outputting 90W per speaker channels so you won't have to worry about the power. It is also able to decode Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, DTS ES 6.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II.

The FS2AV is quite powerful for their size and is able to output a maximum of 75W per channel - should be powerful enough to fill medium to quite large living-rooms.

If you buy them both from Empire Direct, then you will be getting one of the best valued combinations around.

I brought my Marantz SR5200 (gold finish) for £353 and my FS2AV for £450 (retail price £800) from http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tk2001 did you sort out your setup problem?

the bass contour level was most likely the problem.

according to the manual, its for the "fullness" of the bass, and its affect depending on the placement of the sub. if you've got the sub in the corner then it should be set to half or slightly less. if not in the corner then a bit more depending on your preference.

as for the size of the room, the mission set should go upto very large rooms... seen them demo-ed in a hotel conference room 20x35ft with no problems, even with the sub... (you could double up and buy 2 sets if you had an even bigger room or get a proper sub to add a bit of extra oomph).

they are a great "little" set of speakers, especially now they are at a reduced price.

10. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I should have my Mission FS2-AV delivered next week, can't wait.

I have a 17 sqr metre rectanglare room with a bay window, how do you think these speakers will fair with the YAMAHA DSPAX620, any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

I am thinking of buying the Toshiba SD210e DVD which has won products of the year, again how do you think this DVD will fair, any recommendations.

Thx, in advance.

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm still metric on my measurements..(thinks) but the missions should be fine for your room, mine is a little bigger and no problems.

my room is approx 4x7m and excellent... in stereo or 5.1. the mission's sound fills the room nicely.

the yamaha should be fine... (Mission manual quotes 30-75W as recommended range).

the tosh is also fine... most players audio is good now and not much difference between their optical/ coax output.

12. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

Cheers for the reply.

what amp and dvd are 2 using with the FS2-AV's.

Thx.

13. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mancubas - got denon 2802 amp and denon 2800 for the dvd player (only because I'm after a projector next.. any decent player over £200 would do exactly the same).

previously had a Sony str-925 amp/ Pioneer 717 which worked fine with them as well, though the Sony had to be run at a higher volume than my previous Tannoys.

14. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

With you knowing these speakers what amp would you recommend, tk2001 had the Marantz 5200, I am also considering one of these, it has a lot of new features which are becoming more and more mainstream (DTS-ES).

What is a good & bad amp with these speakers, I know 90w RMS is essential but anything else.

What r your thoughts....

15. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not much wrong with the FS-2s far as I can see... as long as you have them setup correctly. remember you get 45m of speaker cable supplied which saves a bit of money.

as for choice of amp, any of the current Denon & Marantz ranges should be fine..., yamaha just behind these. not that impressed with the current Sonys.

90w is easily enough, you could get away with 75w or less.

I'd at least make sure the amp does Dolby Prologic II... makes a vast difference to TV & video tapes.

upto you about going 6.1, DD EX/ DTS ES etc, assuming you've got space for a rear centre(s). worth having for the future though which is exactly why I went for the Denon 2802.

16. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've noticed that for DVD films which contain Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks, I have to turn my receiver up to atleast 00dB (nearly upto 80% of my amps master volume) to get a decent volume - my Marantz outputs 90W per channel and my master volume level ranges from -75dB to +15dB.

I was watching Swordfish (R1) today and had to turn my amp upto +05dB to get a decent cinematic volume level, leaving my amp with only +10dB until the volume is completely mxxed out!

Has anyone else noticed that you have to turn your amp/receiver quite high in order to get a fairly loud volume level with the FS2 satelites?

17. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if it is possible to hook up 1 or 2 speakers to centre rear with the FS2AV system, as i one can purchase 2 extra speakers. How does this work if one has to connect the sats through the sub-woofer - ie. does the sub woofer allow for this setup?

18. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

May I say this forum and people like yourself (MartinCo)
    make puchasing av systems a lot easier.

Thank you for your time, I shall keep u updated on how I get on with these speakers.

Thx again.

19. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes....my volume level is about 75%-85% of max when watching DD DVD's. The sound is awsome though & I think I have everything set up just right but I need to remember to turn it down again before switching back to TV otherwise I have bad earache!

I have found the speaker set to be excellent apart from the fact that one of my speakers is dying and have had no response from Mission to my queries.

20. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, running my FS-2s between 60-80% of my amp's output.
    previous speakers maybe 40-60%. proves you really do have to run NXT speakers harder than conventional speakers.

djinn - 6.1/7.1 centre rear Q is a bit harder. as far as I know you can't plug speakers directly into an amp since the sub works out the crossover for them... (never tried it though, may work?)

assuming this is so, there are 2 options:-
    buy conventional speaker(s) as centre rears,
    or buy the stereo fs-2 set (which comes with another sub).

I've actually asked this before but no real replies.. may do some experimenting myself.

I did consider getting the Wharfedale flat panels (an older NXT stereo set for £99) but may now have a window behind on my final room layout.

others have been buying a pair of Mission conventional dipoles and pre-agreeing to split them with someone off a forum.

21. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    One of your speakers dying? Can you please elaborate on what you mean by dying - has it broken down? How did it happen? How long have you had them for?

The reason why I'm concerned is that I've barely had my FS2 speakers for a month and I want to know is it going to last me for awhile? (preferably more than 3-5 years).

Cheers

22. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have had my speakers for 5 months. 2 weeks ago I noticed the front right had stopped working. When I investigated it seemed that over time the stand has somehow pushed on the back of the casing slightly. By picking the speaker up, it worked again and then stopped as soon as I put it down. The screw for the stand is not overtightened and never has been.

I do have the speaker working at the moment but the slightest movement and it will stop again. And still no reply from Mission. What bothers me is that this could potentially happen with the other 4 speakers as they are all the same.

I suppose this is the kind of thing that reviews do not generally provide much help with and we are left to discover inherent design flaws (which I assume this to be).

23. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay got a reply from Mission regarding this.

As some brains have already being doing they recommend the addition of an FS2A pack with sats and subwoofer. As for wiring goes, haven't tried it yet as waiting for my missions and receiver to arrive however Mission themselves kindly offered to give assistance on wiring should it be required - so anyone who wishes to know I'd recommend emailing mission tech people - they took about 3-4 days to reply.

Also it maybe of interest to know that Mission are not lowering the price of their speakers because an FS3 is on the way - as my inquiry also informed me, however they are going to launch an FS1 range which will be a 'lower cost version without the upgradability of the Fs2's'

Extrapolating a bit further from that is think about the possibilities of adding another FS2AV pack and receiver/prologic decoder and matrixing more sound ........ speakers galore.....maybe in the future..... I read about someone doing something with a 10:1 system but that is something else..

24. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could buy the fs2-a pack (2 speakers & sub), but based on the current price you might as well buy the fs2-av (5 set) again if you can afford it.

you could either split it with someone who wants an extra 2-3 spkrs...
    OR
    stick 2 fs-2 speakers at the rear, then double up on the front 3 speakers for extra power.. plus you can link the 2 subs together.

not a cheap way of doing it though.

the wharfedales as rears for £79 are interesting and probably would match the sound since they're NXT tech.

ultimitately, conventional speakers, either as front centre or rear centre would probably be easier.