1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To All M&K S-85 Owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stewart C, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest. My M&K S-85's have a switchable option on the back of the speaker.

The first option is normal and the second is maximum.

Ken Kreisel at M&K suggests that the normal setting is more in tune with music and the maximum is better with films.

From my own point of view I love watching a movie with the maximum setting, voices are clearer and the sound reminds me of what the vocals are like during a film at the cinema, they really are that good. In saying that the normal setting is fantastic with music, there is a slight warming of the tones produced and the music is gorgeous.

Pity I can't set them both up for music and movies. I could run two sets of cables to the speaker and switch between a+b on my Denon 11SR. Trouble is the subwoofer would have to reset each time I did this and that has to be done on the internal menus as the M&K VX-100 subwoofer only has one subwoofer setting at a time.

Out of interest what do you (whoever you are) uncle eric 4 one, set you s-85's to normal or maximum

Regards

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We set our demo ones at work to the normal input for demos. I prefer this sound.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart,
    Sadly, I only have two now acting as rears. (sides are SS150 tripoles)
    I did experiment with the high setting a few years ago when I bought the whole contingent but found this to be a little too bright for me. In the 'High' setting they pretty much sound like the 750 selects (which are far too edgy, for me anyway).
    On the other hand, I suppose if you have very heavy furnishings (or better still, diffusers) then this setting would be a little more acceptable.The 85's definately sound their best in the 'Normal' mode.

I sold my front three last year and replaced them with the S150's. What did I acheive apart from a bigger hole in my pocket?
    More output, and slightly bolder midrange. Thats about it. Dont get me wrong, the S150's are great speakers and are worth the money.
    The S85's on the other hand are an absolute steal. Worth their weight in gold in my opinion.
    With a good fast sub such as yours, I'd call it Audio Nirvana.

Eric

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Out of interest, how do you find ballancing the S85s with your subwoofer. The reason I ask is that most amps/processors redirect frequencies below 80Hz to the sub when the speakers are set to "small" (I appreciate there are exceptions) but the S85s only go down to 87Hz (+/-2db).

So, if you use an 80Hz crossover, the sub goes up to 80Hz and the S85s come down to 87Hz which suggests that there might be a "hole" in the frequency response. I don't know - perhaps the S85s go down nearer 80Hz on a +/-3db measurement.

Can you let us know how you set up your sub with the S85s and what crossover frequency you use.

Thanks,

Matt.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,
    The S85's go down to 77Hz (+/-2db) so there is no problem with an 80Hz crossover.
    www.mksound.com/grid1.html
    In any event, even when some satelites (other makes) cant manage 80Hz (and most can) a slight overlap is prefered rather than a hole (as you rightly pointed out).
    Looking at Bose for example (here we go again), as they dont publish figures, my assumption is that for something of this size and internal volume, i.e.cubic inches (bass needs volume, power or preferably plenty of both), I would hazard a guess that 120-110Hz is the lowest they can acheive. Now I know why they sell those little so called subs to go with them. These are no more than Mid Bass units.

Eric

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the info uncle eric. I had a look at the grid from the link above and, as you say, that shows the S85s going down to 77Hz. However under the "Satellite Main Speakers" section of the M&K website it clearly states a frequency response of 87Hz - 20KHz +/-2dB for the S85s. :confused:

Maybe I'll send them an e-mail and find out which is correct.

Matt.

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have the S-85's as rears also with S-150 fronts and ss-150 sides. I also use the 85's in normal mode. I have not tried the maximum mode yet. I am very happy with the way they sound but will experiment when I get more time.

Darren

8. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the sensitivity of the 85's I can't find the figure on any of M&K's manuals

I also asked about the crossover frequency to M&K. They said that the speaker would go down to 82-85Hz and there will never be an audible difference in the sound because of 2db's.

Regards

9. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0