1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To 9986 or not to 9986. That is the question?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by duncs, Feb 10, 2005.

1. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve been following these forums for a good while now, trying to find my ideal LCD. And after these many months, I thought I had. Step forward the Sharp LC37GA3E. I did my final research before taking out my plastic. I started to check it had all the connections I needed and so on only to find that there are none left, anywhere! So I’m back to the drawing board, or maybe not. Next in line, the Philips 9986. Many of you have given this a good write up but there are some things that still bother me. So I just need a few loose ends tying up before my wallet comes out.

Firstly, due to the price difference between the Sharp and the Philips, I’m going to have to drop from 37 to 32 inches. I’m not sure if this is too much of an issue. I will be watching from between 5” min and 11” max. I guess 37” would give me more flexibility with placement when I get a new house with larger room :) Any thoughts?

I will be looking to connecting the TV to
    - Sky+ (not sure which connections this will have but assume - scart out *2, RF composite, Optical Out) and eventually Sky HDTV (HDMI)
    - Sony DAVS 550 (optical in, Video/L/R in *2, Video/L/R Out *1, Component out, S-Video Out, Monitor Out)
    - PS2 (optical out, scart)
    - PC (dvi, vga)

The TV will get used for (in this order) Sky, DVD, PC, PS2. I would like to have single source switching but realise given the connections, this will be impossible. Perhaps an upgrade to the Audio side would be in order. At the very least, I would like it to be relatively easy for the kids to use. :). I will want to fix the TV to the wall so any swapping of cables in the TV is a no no.

As far as I can tell (from other threads) the Philips shares its component input with the DVI. So not only can I not plug in a DVD, Sky HDTV and PC at the same time, I can’t even plug in 2 of the 3. I assume that this would require the extra expense of a DVI switcher box and this would need to be IR remote controlled.

The more, I write this, the more I am convincing myself that the TV is not what I need. But lets carry on.

Again reading other threads, there are some issues regarding the PC input side of the set. I understand that the set doesn’t do pixel to pixel mapping from the PC to the TV. I think I would not be overly bothered about 40 black pixels either side of the picture so long as the rest of the picture is not scaled. After all, that’s one of the main benefits of an LCD TV isn’t it! Can anyone confirm this to be the case?

And lastly, we are down to cost. I have about £2k give or take to spend. This is a fair bit of cash so I want to know that the TV I buy will last me a few years hence the concerns over the Philips. Is this TV going to give me what I need or should I go for a cheap CRT or LCD to tide me over for the moment? My current thoughts are that the Philips is not what I am looking for, in 2 hours I will have changed my mind and in a further 2 I will have changed again. :confused: :suicide:

Does anyone have a set up like this? How does it all connect? Are you happy with it? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks for you time.

Duncs

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over 80 views and no one wants to offer any comment on the 9986 :confused:

3. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see the 9986 appreciation thread below

4. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - read that. It doesn't give any hints on how to connect PC, Sky (HD) + component from DVD.

Doesn't give any advice on size of screen.

Doesn't give any help on use of 9986 as a computer monitor.

Desn't give any advice on how it can be set up so the kids can use it with out needing GCSE in Home entertainment :)

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll save you wading through pages of 9986 gushing and help you if I can.

I think some people are a little intimidated by really long posts especially from somebody who seems, pretty much, to know exactly what he is doing!

All I can say is that the 32" 9986 is a fantastic TV. Sure, it has shortcomings with connectivity, but I suspect it could be a few years before we get TV's that have enough built in connections to satisfy us all!

Basics. The 9986 has a peerless Picture. It performs wonders with Sky signals and is nothing short of staggering with DVD feeds. You are right about the DVI switching box though - I think there'll be a lot of demand for these in the coming months. (bit hard to find at present). It is also HDCP enabled of course and will happily take feeds from PC's, although it won't give you a full screen display. It is limited to 1280 x 720.

Viewing distance - I would say that 5' is way too close for a 37". Even for a 32"!. Ideal viewing distance for a 32" is between 7' and 14'.

Onto your last point. Of course the 9986 you buy now will be superceded by newer, better TV's from all kinds of manufacturers. This will of course apply to any TV bought at any time in the next few years, Technology is racing ahead and will continue to do so....You've got to jump sometime...

Jimmy

6. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes I think I know too much (yet not enough at the same time) ;) . It would be so much easier if I could just find a screen that looks good and buy it without me having to go in into detail about how it all fits together with my other stuff.

Not sure if I can wait a few years. Redundancy money is burning a hole in my pocket. :D

Yep. The picture certainly seems to be the top of the tree and this is what drew me to the set. The pictures of the Ambilight in action cetainly show the set off as well. The lack of a separate component seems to be a major omission though. What were Philips thinking of?

Thats what I was hoping. My Son and girlfriend both think the 37" would be better though. I'm glad I can set their mind at rest.

Again - had got ready to jump when the Sharps had all sold out. This goes back to the problem of me looking in to the functionality too much. If I had seen the Sharp and thought "that'll do me" rather than "that looks good. Does it have everything I need", then I would have bought it and wouldn't be here now.

Thanks for your thoughts Looks like I have to investigate the DVI switchers before I take the plunge with the Philips. I may yet join the 9986 owners club. :D