Question To 4K or not to 4K?

chaz

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. At the moment I own a Samsung 7500 4K TV and a Runco projector which shows only up to 720p & a Samsung Blu Ray player.The TV is 55" (and 4K I think). It has basic HDR The projector is being replaced next year for a JVC which will be 1080p hopefully on to a 7ft screen I sit aprox 15ft away from TV and the big screen which I am OK with. What I want to ask is it worth the expense of me upgrading my bluray player to a UHD 4K one and the extra cost for the discs The thing is I want to get Planet Earth II should I get it on Blu ray or the 4K version because of the distance I sit from The TV/Projector would I notice the Difference between 4K & Standard Blu Ray?

sim12

Tv that size you won't notice the difference from that distance and the jvc you are buying is 1080p, your very nearly answering your own quesion....
The only other reason for 4k discs is atmos sound, but you haven't mentioned that so I'll assume not.

toddy28

4k on the tv is not worth it at that distance and size , you would notice the difference on your projector if you decided to go 4k if your projector budget stretches that far

toddy28

The only other reason for 4k discs is atmos sound, but you haven't mentioned that so I'll assume not.
I'm sure you can get atmos on standard Blu rays ,

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
You can get Atmos on a few BDs you need to hunt them out, but on UHD you are more or less guaranteed to get it or DTS:X. UHD players.

chaz

I am going to go for Atmos as well The only reason My TV is that far away is because that is how my room is Set out. My projector is going to be getting this one JVC DLA-X5500 Projector
I also have my Hi Fi tht end as well plus I do not like sittig abou 3ft from the screen Here I a photo of my set up from the sofa Do I also need to buy a new Blu Ray player if so which is the best one that goes with the projector.2018 will be the year I will upgrade my projector and receiver as well so i can get ATmos as well but keeping my power Amp though the after that get a 65" TV and try and move the sofa a bit more nearer to see if that helps but the fireplace is in the way

Attachments

toddy28

I'm undecided by atmos , I think I would need to demo it in a normal house setup

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom