TNT Flexy, what size threaded bar?

phresh

Established Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what size threaded bar other people have used, or at least think will work for this stand.

The original design uses 18mm rods which I cannot find anywhere, although I can find 16mm and 20mm. What I really want to know is if the 16mm rods will be strong enough (1000mm high btw)?

Obviously its cheaper too, I can get the 16mm rods,nuts and washers for less than £15 whereas the 20mm stuff comes out at closer to £30.

I have 1 more question and thats regarding turntables on this stand. What I am thinking of doing is instead of placing the turntable directly on the top shelf, is to mount another shelf directly onto the top shelf using spikes or something similar. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Unless you're planning on using some really big heavy AV amps or something then I'm sure 16mm would be fine. The first thing I'd do is add a 4th support rather than just upping the pole size.

Adding a an additional semi-shelf could be a good idea - have a look into inner tubes and sand trays for that. I think TNT have a few good examples. :)

mate
i have some nuts and washers, you can have them for nowt, if you are near huddersfield or sheffield I can arrange to meet? I have built loads of flexis and sold them to mates so have tons of mdf in the garage all drilled and pre-cut, I AM NOT OFFERING TO SELL YOU 1, you can have the bolts and washers gratis, if you are having trouble getting some threaded bar I can get you some from a supplier in sheffield who i use, they sell 3/4 inch or 20mm, i use 20mm and it is sound, let me know what you think

Cheers for the offer mate but I live way down south. If you've got some M20 nuts and bolts I certainly wouldn't say no! Would need enough for around 7 shelves though (about 42 of each). Does your supplier do web orders or anything? The cheapest i've found all the bits is here - http://www.tool-net.co.uk/catalogue/index.php

Just less than a fiver each for the 20mm rods, which is pretty damn cheap as far as I can see. If you did have enough nuts etc i'd go for the 20mm instead of the 16mm. Better to be safe than sorry! Already got the MDF fortunately. Thanks for the offer though mate, much appreciated. Let me know on the bolts, i'll cover any costs of course.

Cheers

Made mine using 12mm bars as at the time that was all B&Q had in stock, its plenty strong enough with the components I have being a metre high with 5 shelves.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom