1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMREQ user unfriendly?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Anodyne, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Why does TMREQ have to be so difficult to use? If you use a Mac or don't have access to a P.C as far as I can see you're left out in the cold, and on top of that you have to fork out for third party software and a compatible sound card in order to make it work. If Velodyne can incorporate a usable graphic interface into their Digital Drive subs that accomplishes much the same thing albeit for the LFE channel only, surely Tag could do something similar for their processor?

Will

2. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will
    I agree that the required tools mean it takes time and effort to get everything ready to get TMREQing quickly. When I got TMREQ for the first time I spent a few hours without laptop, just with a sound meter and got pretty good results. This was just by using frequency sweeps to pick out peaks in the room and then manually adjusting settings. Although not as good as a full blown set-up procedure there's no doubt it helped me.

Importantly, it also gave me the faith to buy the ETF software and go for it in more detail. So if you've not yet started playing with TMREQ because you've been put off by the ETF license etc, then I'd try adjusting the sub only by ear and sound meter and you might well be pleased with what that gives you!

Don't forget that the free version of ETF does give meaningfull results too.....

3. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Thanks Phil

It's encouraging to know that you can make improvements manually. It would be nice if Tag eventually got round to making the whole process more self contained though.

Will

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have to say I think Tag need to standardise and automate the whole process. This may involve a cheap but reliable / consistent microphone. As it all standard at the moment it is putting many people off upgrading to DP.

5. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been talk of a fully automated process (using a mic input into the processor) but this will take a lot of development and time.

You're right about the complications putting people off, but once you've got the software and SPL it's actually really intuitive... Now I'm used to it I redo/tweak the whole system every month or so. I reckon the whole system (8 channels) can be done in under an hour.

In the meantime, don't forget you can ask Tag's guys to come and do your entire set-up for you! Although it's £350 plus travel costs, it sounds like they do a fantastic job and teach you loads as they do it.... It also compares quite well to the amount we might spend on cables/upgrades!
    Once I've sold my big rear-proj TV (and therefore got rid of a sonically significant object) I'm going to get it done.... It's the sort of experience that well have instant pay-off but also teach me loads about how to get more and more out of something as complex and powerful as TMREQ.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    plus travel cost is more than the set up costs, no thanks!

7. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that amazing: by definition of you being here you have access to a PC / Mac (you can do it all in windows emulation); a usable soundcard costs the square root of bugger all (especially if you can afford TMA gear!!); the ETF software can be freely downloaded if you don't want to pay for it, and you forgot to mention you also have to own an SPL meter or mic.

More than that lot making it impractical, your defeatist, unwilling attitude will make TMREQ impossible. As Phil said (rather patiently, I thought), it really ain't tricky if you set your mind to it and approach it methodically. If anyone wants to spend this much money on hi-fi and not put any further effort into getting the environment right, then IMHO one's wasting one's money.

If it really is all to much for you, don't bother with it.

8. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, you can't get more extreme than me! I bought Barry from Tag a plane ticket, put him up for the night and paid a bit extra, but the travel costs did not exceed the set up costs! And in the bargain, I get my 'room' done with no stress (top job:cool: ) and I reckon it's the equivalent of a several thousand pound speaker upgrade. Worth every penny:)

I'm puzzled why PhilB1234 continually tweaks the settings unless the room or equipment changes, that is - am I missing something?

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The nearest air port is yours (I can see you island from my village!) but I need to travel 2 hrs to get to the ferry port, next nearest airport is more like 2.5 drive, beds etc are no problem but we are remote to get to, 1.5 hrs to a motorway!

10. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I remember posting something similar on the Tag forum a while back when TMREQ first came out and I was shot down in flames for daring to suggest it was difficult to use :rolleyes:

Personally, if had spent £4K+ on a bit of AV kit I would be a little bit irked to say the least to discover that in order to get it working at its full potential I'd have to have:

a) a compatible laptop (one with stereo line in or a laptop with external soundcard that has stereo line in).
    b) some 3rd party software which isn't that cheap.
    c) a quality microphone and/or SPL meter
    d) the necessary cabling to hook the above all up
    e) the necessary skills to make any sense of the above.

...as it happens, I happen to have a compatible laptop, I bought ETF, an SPL meter and all the cables. I got it just to integrate my subwoofer properly in my stereo system - I don't have an AV32R :)

However, I have used the setup to help others with AV32R DPs to get data for TMREQ setup. It's not that difficult but I still stand by my point. If TacT Audio can supply a microphone and do the setup all automatically then Tag should be able to do the same.

Michael.

11. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nic,

Not today you can't - it's p*ssing down;) See your point, but when you come here you have to be ready for the time travel thing as well (20 years behind everywhere else!) so I still think it's extreme(ly worth it:) )