TMREQ - higher frequency adjustments?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ettepet, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Does anyone have experience with using TMREQ for speaker adjustment for higher frequencies?

Using Pioneer's M.C.A.C.C. (9 fixed-band equalizers per channel) I found that adding some equalisation to certain (broad) frequency bands can add extra realism to surround sound. Applaus or small details in sound can become more (or less) noticable to the degree meant by the original mixers, and not your room (or speaker). Has anyone tried these types of adjustments, and, were they beneficial at the level of performance that the Tag offers? :)

2. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe TMREQ is best used to assist with bass response, which is a far more difficult area to control than higher frequencies (compromise on speaker positions, etc) and I certainly didn't have a lot of filters left after doing that to even think about anywhere else in the frequency spectrum! I also believe the room has less of an influence on higher frequencies than low ones and solutions (to a bright sound, for example) are generally easy to engineer without resorting to tone controls.
    I don't know anything about the Pioneer, but if it's analogue, I would imagine it would introduce all sorts of side effects that (technically) would be undesirable. Whether you prefer it and whether it is higher fidelity though is entirely up to your ears as none of us can say what the sound engineer/producer meant us to hear unless we actually were that person.

I think the moral of the story is, if it sounds good to you, what does it matter what anybody else does, just do it:thumbsup:

3. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Black 5,

I believe that compensating for speaker deficiencies is ok, room correction for higher frequencies remains an uncertainty. Ideally both amplitude, fase and decay time should be controlled. TacT and some others built this type of gear.

I plan on trying out what works, and go from there. Thanks for sharing your views! ;)