1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMREQ help please :>)

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by m0v1em4n, Dec 9, 2003.

1. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

I have a AV32r sp but hopefully in the new year I am going to upgrade to the dual processor, but in the mean time whilst I am waiting I thought I would try to get my head around the TMREQ thing, but so far most of the stuff written on the TMREQ refer to Enabling TMREQ correction which I don’t have

Ok here what I have done so far,
    I have setup the USB sound card, and connected to the AV 32r single processor to that as per the instruction below

My questions are

What connection to I have to make in order to get a base line readings?

Would I connect the sound card's right channel output to the appropriate speaker input or should it be left connected to the left channel of an analog input on the AV Processor as stated in TMREQ a case study and connect The Sound card’s right channel input to the appropriate speaker output

What connection do I have to make in order to test the speaker?

In the TMREQ a case study it states “The sound card's right channel output (Line Out, Headphones or similar) will be connected to the left channel of an analog input” , but with this connection I only hear the test tone out of the front left speaker how would it be possible to test the other speakers,
    Would I reconnect the sound card's right channel output from left channel of an analog input to the appropriate speaker input? In order to get the sound out of the other speakers And leave the Sound card’s right channel input (Line In) connected to the SPL meter,
    Perhaps on the dual processor AV32r the TMREQ allows for the test tone to be placed to the appropriate speaker, being as mine is not upgrade yet I am unsure :confused:

Would the SPL meter be placed in the listening position for the entire speaker tests?

When the appropriate measurements are taken in ETF I then export them so they can be used in the TMREQ wizard which hopefully will do all the hard work,
    Ready for when I get the AV32r upgraded to the dual processor and the TMREQ wizard registered
    Well that seem it for now, would appreciate it if some one could look it over and tell me if any of it is right.

Here hoping :rotfl:

Steve

2. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve

To make measurments with ETF on an AV32 SP is a bit tricky as you connect the line out of your sound card to either a left or right channel input on the AV32 SP. It doesn't matter which analog input you use (Aux, Sat, VCR, TV etc as long it's not used).

So this means you can measure your left speaker (by connecting to the left channel input on the AV32 SP) or your right speaker (connect to the right channel input). You can also measure your center by fooling the system by using Mono mode on the AV32 SP.

But this is only ETF measurements, *not* TMREQ. It's only with the AV32 DP that you can steer the ETF test signal to the appropriate speaker, especially the sub.

The other way round this is to hook the sound card line out to the left channel input of the AV32 SP, and then take the Sub interconnect cable and hook it up to the AV32 SP Left Channel Output connector (be sure to use the low freq setting in ETF), and when you're done with the Sub, take the X speaker interconnect cable and connect it to the AV32 SP Left channel output and do an ETF measurement.

Not very practical and a lot of cable hassle IMHO.

The mic is placed in the listening position and stays there.

The actual connectors and cables you need are explained in the ETF help. If you use the Radio Shack SPL, don't forget to download the RS correction file from the ETF web site.

The ETF and TMREQ have a steep learning curve so set aside plenty of time. It's not a thing you do in 15 minutes... However the end results are worth it.

But remember with an AV32 SP you can only make ETF measurements (rather awkwardly for all speakers), there's no TMREQ steering of test signals. And you can't check the integration between speaker and sub, crossovers, and a whole bunch of other things. For that you need the DP upgrade.

Good luck :cool:

3. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Bogi,

thanks for the info, :smashin:

yes I understand that with out the dual processor and the TMREQ there are thing i would not be able to do,

Just wanted to take some measurements of my room and see what it is like,

Presume i can export the base line test and the speaker test to use in the TMREQ wizard, can the final setting then be saved in the wizard ready for when i get the dual processor upgrade,

steve

4. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve,

Yes, you can save them but I'd take the time just to get to know how ETF works, how you best set up the measurment equip, etc. Just to get the lay of the land.

As the Dual Sharc upgrade has a better power supply I believe that you'll want to make new measuresments when you have the DP unit. I seriuosly don't think anyone who made ETF measurements with a SP unit actually used those ones when they got their unit back.

However, for checking the room, you'd be fine. And you can also check to see the difference a few inches can make on a freq. curve...

:cool: