1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMREQ Anyone?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by spiderv6, Oct 16, 2003.

1. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone mastered this or does anyone have any good links on how to use it?:confused:

I've only had mine for a few weeks but the TMREQ Software is V2.1 and the manual is V2.0. Unfortunately the differences appear to be pretty significant (e.g., the manual talks about menu settings that don't exist and there are menu settings the manual doesn't mention):rolleyes:

I'd love to get into it, but so far it's a complete mystery.......

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have ETF? If so, it makes things a bit easier - with the full version of ETF you can import the measurements into the TMREQ Wizard and it can do the initial filter settings for you.

What part are you having problems with? The measurements, interpreting them, or figuring out which filters you should use?

It's daunting at first, but it's worth it! :)

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using TMREQ for a while now and I genuinely believe it makes a massive difference.
    My tips would be:
    -Bite the bullet and invest in the fully licensed ETF: $150 well spent.
    -Then use the free TMREQ Wizard to get a fairly accurate set of filters for each channel.
    -As you grow in confidence you'll find that using the wizard you'll be able to move the filters around and improve things further. It tunrs out to be quite fun being able to load it up and continue fine tuning your settings.
    -Once you've got the set-up of the SPL meter etc right, you'll find you can get good results in just a couple of minutes per speaker.

Once I'd done it for the first time I found that the volume could be taken to a much higher level (and therefore enjoyed increased dynamics) because peaks weren't there in the bass that previously were intolerable.

4. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spiderv6, the TMA forums are a mine of useful tips and information on TMREQ, covering a load of questions and tips that are not in the manuals. The club section of the website also has 'how to' sections for TMREQ, but as you say they're a little out of date now. However, they're not so far out that you can't interpret them without too much trouble.

I agree that it's worth investing in the full version of ETF5, but use it first to get your speaker / sub locations optimised (see 'demo room' on the ETF website) before you apply EQ.

I agree that TMREQ is an excellent tool to measure and apply EQ, but at the end of the day all it does is reduce the volume of the troublesome resonances, it doesn't get rid of them. Good absorption is still preferable but can be costly, so put the effort first into speaker location and only then apply EQ. It's made a worthwhile difference in my room, even after I spent a packet on absorption and acoustic treatment.

5. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An addendum... I spent a few hours at the weekend measuring in-room responses and making EQ corrections for my subs, and the before and after charts are fascinating. When I applied filters to the worst resonances they certainly were reduced in gain at 0ms, but interestingly when you look at the gated data (say) 160ms later, the resonant sound was still almost as high as it was before!

A negative gain of -15dB I applied to one frequency resulted in a reduced resonance of only 3dB 160ms later.

So EQ has an effect, but for far better results you need to work on the room and sub placement first.:lesson: