1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGENC Not Recognizing Chapters

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I created several chapters (using markers) on a DVD RAM disk on the Pan DMR E100.

But when converting to mpg with TMPGENC DVD Author all the chapters dissappeared!

I had 'Read Chapter Information' ticked when creating the new project.

I verified that the chapters still exist on the DVD RAM disk by playing it in Power DVD.

Have I done something wrong or does TMPGENC DVD Author not import chapters?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,844
    It reccognises marker on my E50 just fine.

Copy the VRO file and the BUP and IFO to the hard disk using my computer and use import DVD Video. The markers and other editing are usually stored in the IFO.

It might be possible that converting to mpg would lose the markers.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Copied all the files from RAM disk to HDD and opened the vro file directly in TMPGenc and still shows only one chapter (the beginning of the programme).

Renamed the vro file to mpg and neither Windows Media player or Power DVD sees the chapters as well as TMPGenc.

:confused:

One more thing, does it matter if you pause or leave the programme playing when adding markers on the DVD Recorder?

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As nwgarratt said, the chapter information on a DVD-RAM is stored in the IFO and BUP files, not the VRO or MPG. Later versions of PowerDVD can read the IFO to find the chapters.

I haven't used TMPENc author to any length (only the demo briefly) but if it can read the IFO "RAM" format, you should be able to pick up the chapters info before any other stuff is done.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    NEW DEVELOPMENTS

This is getting WEIRDER!

I put the DVD RAM disk back in the E100 and erased ALL markers then added just two markers using the 'Display' method instead of the 'Direct' method.

Verified that the other markers had gone by playing back the disk and OK all but two gone.

Imported it back into TMPCeng and HEY PRESTO...

ALL the original markers (chapters) now show up, including the ones that I erased in the recorder.

No chapters show up in Power DVD using RAM DISK :confused:

What on earth is going on?

OK, I now have what I want (in a very unorthodox way!), but how can the markers now show up when I erased them :confused:

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    TMPGEnc obviously doesn't handle VR format as well as it could. PowerDVD is worse.

I'd suggest using TMPGEnc to add the chapters in the first place, and try WinDVD instead of PowerDVD.

Panasonic DVDMovieAlbumSE is also useful for editing RAM directly if you have a RAM burner, but it's very hard software to find.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Tried that but need sound cues and TMPGEnc doesn't recognise ac3 format.
    Extracted and converted ac3 to wav and will only play briefly before telling me that my 'cpu is not powerful enough' (AMD 900mhz) :(

Does it allow for chapter adding?

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,844
    I would like the Panasonic MovieAlbum software. Only Panasonic drives come with it though.

I use MPEG2VCR for editing. I noticed when I use DVD Author, it leaves a pause where I take out video. I use MPEG2VCR for the edit video part and then put it in DVD Author to add chapters and menus.

MPEG2VCR also works with AC3.

9. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Panasonic software allows you to add markers, playlists, divide and delete programs - much the same as the recorders do. It's not frame accurate though, but it does give audio cues. In all honesty, it's not all that great, but it has some uses - like exporting multi-resolution programmes in a single resolution so that TMPGEnc DVD Author can handle them ... and adding chapters with audio cues :)