• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TM 5/7 Selection.

gwc

Established Member
Hi,

I am having trouble selecting the Tag Mclaren Surround modes when watching a DVD that outputs 2.0 Surround, specifically the X-files Series. When I cycle around the surround modes TM5/& is missing from the selection.

I have Sky+ connect via the Audio Digital out and that seems fine.

Is this just finger trouble or it there a problem.

Cheers

gwc

P

PhilB1234

I think this may be because TMS can't be applied to an already encoded (e.g. Dolby/DTS) stream. It's only usable with analog or digital stereo sources.
I may be wrong, but that's my understanding.....

P

PhilB1234

One other thing to be aware of is that the TMS modes are designed for music, with subtle centre and rear use, whereas the PL2/2x Movie modes are there to make the most out of Dolby encoded broadcasts/discs. As the X-Files series were all created with a DPL (and in later series DD5.1) soundtrack, I would expect DPL2 to provide a better result than TMS in this instance.
Obviously it's a matter of preference in the end.......

Stevesky

Established Member
It all depends on the AV processor in your system...

The AV32SP cannot apply TMS to a 2 channel Dolby Digital encoded stream.
The AV32DP or AV192R can apply TMS to a 2 channel Dolby Digital stream.

If the processor is not offering the format then it's not possible on that platform.

gwc

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies.

Kenny
I can get DD+DPLII Movies and Music. Does DPLII use the sub if available (as it doesn't sound like it)?

Stevesky
My Tag is only a SP :( I am afraid.

Cheers

gwc

Kenny Glasgow

Prominent Member
GWC

It think it should use the sub, but I don't know and can't check for you 'til the weekend. :confused:

I think I've integrated my sub very well and sometimes wonder if it is actually on :p

I'd love to have my AV32 DP'd so I could benefit from TMREQ

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom