• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TM-2T OE Nandflash explain please

RobTi

The TM-2T OE has slightly less Nandflash than the TM-Twin OE, what does this mean in real terms ?

Thanks

Robert

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
It means you have less room to store the image (think operating system...) and plugins. Don't know how much the TMs have but DM800SE has 64MB flash and will happily run softcams, crossepg and other plugins with space left for more, so probably a non issue.

They seem to be handling this newer generation better but research what happened to the TM800 before deciding to buy a Technomate linux box.

logiciel

I know what NAND is but don't know what Nandflash is.
I have a TM-2T, and it does everything that it's told to do without any signs of strain.:thumbsup:

RobTi

Reason for asking i didn't know TM could run vix. copied from elsewhere/

The TM-2T OE and the TM-Twin OE are basically a Vu Duo in a different Skin same broadcom chipset and CPU and yes you can run Vix on the TM's, the 2T is around £30 cheaper than the twin just because it loses the RF Modulator, LNB1 loop through and has slightly less Nandflash

so wondered if it mattered that much

RobTi

Sorry still lost on this if the twin is the flagship model why has it less memory (both types) than the 2T

Thanks

Robert

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I believe the twin is a little older. As flash memory prices decrease and larger sizes become more common it's probably easier to source and cheaper to install more than less, plus it looks good to some on the marketing. In reality a dm800se works fine with 64mb flash and 256mb ram and the tm images are approx the same size... And it'll do nothing more than the 800se except allowing you to install a few extra plugins (that are generally tiny...) and maybe store pitons and epg on internal flash, saving you having to spend a couple of quid on a USB memory stick.

I'd look hard at the price difference between the tms and an original Vu+ software support will be much better now and in the future for the vus. To get a significant upgrade in spec you need to look at solo2 and duo2 that are based on a new design rather than an old one.

logiciel

the 2T is around £30 cheaper than the twin just because it loses the RF Modulator, LNB1 loop through and has slightly less Nandflash
so wondered if it mattered that much
I didn't want the RF, the £30 was worth saving, the Nandflash doesn't matter, so the 2T was the obvious choice between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom