1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by diggler46, Dec 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    How many hours of top quality recordings can you get on a standard tivo hd?

Whats the maximum hd a tivo can take?

Does it do the full monty in terms of sound, i.e 5.1 if ripping dvd's to it?

Thanks

Tivo wannabe...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    About 12 hours on TiVo's 40Gb drive

I know people on the TiVo forum that have 2 120Gb drives in their TiVo - thats around 72 hours at best quality :eek: WOW!

TiVo is only Sterio :rolleyes:

Mark.

3. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks Mark.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think sound is the only place where Sky+ has an advantage over TiVo, as it can record in 5.1 sound, but TiVo cannot.

Because of the OS limitations, TiVo can only recognize (around) 130 GB on each of the two drive bays. (you can put in larger, but the space will not be used) So, you can get a max of about 260 GB. I think this limitation has been overcome, though, if you really want to do it.

Personally, I replaced my original drive with a 120 GB Maxtor, and it gives me around 39 hours on best quality, and well over 100 on basic. The upgrade is a piece of cake too, as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Most people who upgrade leave their original drive in and just add a 120 GB drive, giving them 160 GB of space.