1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo - Where!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by rscott4563, Feb 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm desperate to get some sort of recording system as I'm currently without a good old VCR and am getting really sick of missing my programs.

I was really interested in a DVD recorder but the lack of EPG's and limited recording space available and the lack of very handy tricks like live TV pausing and watching the begining of a recording before its finished, have put me off some so I came across TiVo and Sky+.

I currently have a Sky digibox which I use just to get the freeview channels and was considering getting a TiVo unit as this then wouldn't tie me in to Sky subscription, although I may end up getting a basic Sky package at some time.

What would peoples suggestions be,
    I like the idea of TiVo as I could then use it with any broadcast medium, the one off payment appeals to me more than a life time of paying Rupert Murdoch a £10 a month just for the ability to record channels I'm already paying for!!
    But I hear that Thompson have finished making TiVo boxes now and that there may be no other manufacturer stepping in to fill the gap in the UK at least, does this mean that TiVo its self is coming to an end in the near future?
    What is the quality of TiVo recordings like, does the onboard MPEG encoding affect the quality much?

I would really prefer to buy a product that combined DVD and HD recording and the tricks of TiVo in one box with no subscription charges, obviously this would be more expensive than TiVo but it would be worth it for a standalone device that satisfied all of these criteria without fixing you in to a specific media provider like Sky, does anyone know if this sort of device exists or is in the pipeline for the very near future?????

If TiVo is going to be around for a long time to come and there isn't an all singing all dancing bit of kit just about to come out, then how do I go about getting a TiVo unit???
    No where seems to have them, is it possible to get one second hand with the full subscription paid up? (As I belive that the subscription is for the box not the person?)

If anyone out there can help, it would be very much appreciated.

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely some one out there with superior knowledge than myself (not difficult there then!) could give me some feed back???

Isn't that the sort of thing a forum like this was set up for???

:hiya:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Saw one in a comet in cardiff that was closing down Ex-display. Comet currys are closing alot of there older stores and moving to retail parks so i suggest you go round a few and ask. as thomson are not making anymore display modelks are a bit daft.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/ has some pretty large threads on finding TiVos. Believe it or not, they are still out there. eBay is a good bet, but I've heard the prices can be pretty steep.

TiVo itself isn't in danger of going out of business in the next little while. They seem to be doing very well in the States. And, even if TiVo does go out, as long as Tribune supports the guide data, your TiVo will still function fine until it shuffles off the mortal coil. On a similar vein, the most common breakdown is the hard drive, which is pretty easy to replace yourself, so even that looks pretty rosy.

The only problem I can see with buying a TiVo now, is the lack of units. If yours breaks down (within warranty), you might have to settle for your money back instead of a new unit. After you've used a TiVo for a few weeks, you'll realize how horrific this could be. :D

5. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    the panasonid DVD RAM boxs give you HD recording and also the ability to "time slip" as they call it...go to the beggining of your recording etc... i have the E-20 the first one..but i also have Sky+ so have only used it to archive stuff...may even sell it !

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he meant an all in one hd and dvd recorder so you could record stuff on the hd and then archive to dvd if you wanted to keep it. that would be great.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be the HS2 then!

DaveP

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea but a hs2 doesn't have the functionality of a tivo. does anyone have anymore input on this I quite fancy a tivo now.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you checked out this thread

Pace HD

It could be what you need if you are only after the freeview channels

Personally I have a Panny DVDR and Sky+ which suits my needs

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh I've seen this and am tempted but I wanted tivo functionality. a tivo bitstream recorder with an integrated freeview tuner would meet all my needs. someone told me yesterday that Toshiba are developing a new Tivo unit for the UK! anyone heard anything on this.

11. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just got a brand new box from comet web site
    Fill in the contact customer serices bit and they'll get back to you with the availability. Excellent service from them, even though the first unit was missing the all important zapper! £149 from what I remember.
    I certainly couldn't live without one now but make sure you stick to medium recording quality or higher as basic really is dire. Also very easy to add extra HD's if you want more space.
    Happy hunting!

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like that avenue is dead too...

""Good Afternoon

Thank you for your query. Unfortunately we are unable to source any more
    Thomson TIVO's online or by telephone. I would suggest you visit or contact
    your local branch to see if any stores in your area are holding them (very
    unlikely).

Thanks""

I also tried three or four electrical superstores on Friday with no luck. One of the sales guys said he had read about a new toshiba Tivo set for UK release tho... any word on this?!

Tivo seems to have disappeared from the Curry's website as well!!:eek:

13. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dammit... cheers anyway.

15. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    might sound a bit daft but try Tivo themselves as they have a fresh stock of them in for swap outs. You never know......
    Thank god i got mine!

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will do i was thinking of giving them a call, do thomson still offer the upgrade support by selling bigger pre-software installed hard drives?

17. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  18. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,968
    isn't there a 7 day free EPG for this now.....??