1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo vs DVD recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by BobHaymond, Apr 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my home theater working for a coiple of years on basic cable and DVD's. I am now considering upgrading my inputs. And WHOOF, things have changed since I last looked! A couple of answers would b appreciated if you have the time:

1. I don't see the difference between TiVo and DVD recording. Can one use both?
    2. Doese TiVo work with digital cable as well as with satelites?
    3. What's the difference between TiVo and TiVo Plus?
    4. My 36 XBR Sony has a super side-by-side dual channels [on cable}. Is that workable with satelites? If so, how.

Thanks for any help.
    Cordially BH

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Bob

A Tivo is not only a hard disk recorder, it does so much more as you can read in many other threads. It becomes a replacement interface for your Sky or Cable or Freeview experience. I can't really talk about cable or freeview with Tivo as I have never used my TiVo with them.

But on Sky I can choose not to display certain channels in the menus, shopping channels and other pointless do not exist on my TiVo, whereas with Sky Digiboxes you are unable to hide them completely.

TiVos also allow you to pop us an ovelay screen whilst watching a channel to scan through what else is on right now without having to leave your program.

It watches what you like and will make suggestions, keeps complex season passes that know the difference between shows repeated several times a week. Basically do the SkyPlus/TiVo comparison is closer than the TiVo/DVD Recorder.

And YES you can have both! For each show recorded on your TiVo there is a Send-To-VCR option. If you install a DVD recorder inplace of a VCR you can record to that.

When you get braver you can network it and edit your DVDs on the PC with the need for a DVD recorder, but for a simple life having both would be best.

For the most part the general answer is yes, though I believe certain Cable services need a workaround, perhaps someone else can elaborate further.

OK, Tivo Plus.. I think you're talking about TivoWebPlus. This is a piece of free software that allows you to control your TiVo via a web browser. You can stream shows acroos your network, edit titles & descriptions, change the recording quality of your TiVo at the expense of drive space and much more. TiVoWeb softeware finished at version 1.9.4, TivoWebPlus software is where another group of people took the project forward from that point.

Someone else will need to answer this.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    A DVD recorder is just a high quality VCR, but TiVo is a true PVR.
    To record to a DVDR you just manually set a timer the same as on a VCR, but with TiVo you have an EPG that allows auto labelling of all recordings, seasonpasses to record all episodes of a series even if they change time or channel (unlike Sky+). Wishlist to find progs by actor, director, keyword etc. Auto recording of progs TiVo thinks you will like. I could go on all day :cool:
    As mentioned previously you can connect a DVDR to TiVo. But if you get a DVDR that can record from RGB then I would suggest connecting it between the TiVo TV output and you TV to get the best possible quality recordings as the VCR output on a TiVo only outputs a composite signal.

TiVo will work with all the UK TV platforms. Some of the early digital cable boxes (Pace 1000 & 2000 series boxes) need an interface for infrared control as they use a different IR standard to that used by TiVo.

Mark.

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. BobHaymond

BobHaymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XBR36 is HD ready(?). As I understand it, I'll need another reciever before getting HD. I have it custom built into a wall so in the theater room it is anlogous to a panel screen. On the back side of the wall is my wife's computer station. [ jhaymond.com ] Closed doors on the back wall have the Theater stuff; closed doors in the theater room have the PC guts. No wires evident any place. I use a "HotShot" for remotes.