TiVO - Video switching on Yam 750SE

db298

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a puzzler, and I really don't know if this is the correct forum - I could think of at least four the question could be posted in !

I'm setting up a new AX750SE Yamaha with the component upconversion and switching. I want to feed a TiVO and a DVD player through it without losing any quality. The DVD is fine - component in, component out (prog scan). However, I get confused when thinking about the TiVO. :suicide:

Currently, it takes an RGB picture and the audio, through the scart to the TV. There is an analogue interconnect from TV to amp to carry the sound. What's the best way of cabling this up ? I can put a scart adaptor in the TiVO, and then take separate S-Video and L/R sound to the amp, but am I not losing video quality by going down to S-Video like this ? Will the S-video be RGB ?! Clearly some experienced advice would be welcome ! :rolleyes:

TiVo only outputs composite (avoid at all costs!) and RGB video. It does not output S-Video.
If your TV can take component and an RGB scart then there is no point in putting the video through the AV receiver. In fact I would recommend that you don't do it unless you don't have enough inputs on the TV for all your video devices. The reason being that you will need to spend more money on extra cables & converters and are likely to loose at least a little bit of PQ.
If you do still want to go via the AV receiver then you will need to convert the TiVo's RGB output to either component (best) or S-Video (not so good). To do this I would recommend a converter from www.js-technology.com

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom