1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sandy2011, Feb 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sandy2011

sandy2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my tivo for a while now and to be honest have been putting off doing the upgrade myself as 1. i can't be arsed:D and 2. i don't want to wreck my beloved tivo.
    I've got a pair of maxtor 120gb drives ready and waiting, just need someone who has done this before to do the install for me.
    Willing to pay to have it done, don't expect it done for free!

For the record, my tivo has two drives already inside (i presume from the factory) a 30gb and a 15gb.

Also considering having an one of these cards installed that let's me hook it up to my wifi network via a plug in pcmcia wifi card.

Can anyone help?

Sandy:smashin:

2. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sandy, seriously, give it a go! I was seriously nervous before getting stuck in about mine, but have now done threee with no problems - three HD upgrades, and my one again to stick a turbonet in.

It's really fairly straightforward.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a guy usually selling HD already formatted on EBAY, who I'm sure would do th ejob for you. Worth checking it out & sending the guy an EMAIL.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    sandy2011, where abouts are you? There's no point somebody in London offering to do the install if you're in Aberdeen!

As said above the install of the TiVo software (and thumbs up/down, season passes & even old recordings) to the new disks is very easy as long as you know how to plug a couple of disks in to a PC.
    I would offer to do it for you but I only have a PC with NTFS disks and this does complicate things! If you have a PC running Win95/98/ME then this will be no problem. If you can bring that PC to me then I will have a go for you as I did the upgrade on my TiVo a couple of months back with no problems.

LMK,
    Mark.

5. sandy2011

sandy2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that mark. i'm from york which is a bit far to travel.
    I'm in the same boat as you as my pc runs xp with the hd's formatted in ntfs so can't do it on that, and the rest of the machines are mac's.
    i might redo my pc's hd's in fat32 and give it ago.
    can anyone suggest any step by step instructions and where to get the boot up files from (for cd, i don't have a floppy drive)

sandy

6. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sandy, you shouldn't need to re-do your PC's drives.

Basically disconnect all your PC's drives, and plug the TIVO ones in. Then boot from the BootCD which contains all the necessary tools. You can find links to the instructions on the TIVO community forum. The BootCD itself you can get here ;

http://www.9thtee.com/tivobootcd.htm

7. Benedict

Benedict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    sandy2011, I'm happy to give you a hand. I'm not far from you. I live about 5 miles west of the Humber Bridge, just off the A63, which is about 35 miles from York.

I've upgraded two single drive 40GB TiVos to single drive 120GB (mine and a friend's). A dual drive upgrade shouldn't be that much more difficult. Never intalled a Turbonet/Airnet card though.

Let me know if you're interested.

8. sandy2011

sandy2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    benedict, thanks for the kind offer but i managed to get the upgrade done this morning and now running 2x120gb hd's!
    All I need now is an airnet card!

Thanks for all the info guys and for giving me that bump in confidence to get the upgrade done myself.

sandy