1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo TREAT!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by delta, Dec 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a TiVo on Friday and I have to say, it is a superb piece of kit! You neeed to forget VCR's or Digiboxes and think only TiVo when you are setting it up and using it, then it is a very easy thing to deal with. I am delighted by the results and I heartily recommend TiVo to anyone! I did not want to get too dependent on Sky and I prefer to use TiVo with ITVdigital with which it works well. Go for it!

2. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I agree in principle wait until you get a few progs that have the end removed due to overruns.

Tivo are working on it but it can be really annoying.

Other than that it does change the way you watch tv.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once you have used a TiVo you wonder how you managed without it! I had to give mine up for a NICAM modification and although I was without it for only a week I couldn't bring myself to watch TV in the "old" way. Now, I hardly ever watch live TV as I only watch what TiVo has recorded for me (mind you, mine is upgraded to 236 hours capacity so there is always a lot to watch!)

The trouble with TiVo is that you don't realise the benefits until you have one, and trying to convince the sceptics (who you know would rapidly become converts) is incredibly difficult. :(

As an aside...

TiVo are currently looking for UK Beta testers (apply here) for the new software that includes padding to prevent the chopping of programme endings although to be fair to TiVo this is not their fault - it's the fault of the broadcasters who are unable to keep to their own schedules, the BBC being by far the worst culprits.

The new software includes several new features, and other than padding possibly the best being "Wish Lists" where you can request that TiVo records material based on cast member or title (or both, ie. "Sean Connery" and "James Bond", also you can specify genre ie. "Action") and as soon as a match is found in the programme guide it will be scheduled for recording. You can get a feel for the new features here (1.88mb PDF).

I don't mean to offend the forum admins here, but you might like to visit the dedicated UK TiVo forum. It's a very useful resource and representatives from TiVo (and more recently, Tribune who put together the EPG data) have been known to make posts.