Tivo to DMR-BWT720 via scart

davee b

Established Member
Reaction score
So after many years of non use I've dusted down a scart cable as I want to preserve some 1080P Champions League footage currently residing on an old Tivo box that I'm hoping to replace (and so lose the recordings). I want to record the footage from the tivo in the best possible analogue quality (i.e. XP) via the AV2 on the Panny. The Panasonic instructions seem to say you can choose between XP/SP/EP/LP but when I select AV2 and press "record" all I get is the choice between 30 mins recording or continous. The footage then records in SP mode. There isn't any option to force it to record in XP. The original source footage is in glorious 1080P and doesn't look that great in SP mode, I'm not sure XP will be a whole lot better but I want to at least try. Thanks.

You must select the recording mode before starting the recording.

However, it is likely you will only get marginal improvement by going to XP ... and not so much in subjective impression of picture quality but in terms of better handling of picture movement.

This is because almost all quality is being lost before it even reaches the machine. The Tivo is downngrading the material before it sends it.

The 720' can only intake composite video or S video via AV2.
So the one thing you can do to improve quality is deliver to it via S video -and the difference should be significant - but I am not aware if the Tivo has that ability - but check for it.

Thanks Gavtech. It's so long since I've done copying I'd forgotten you could alter the quality beforehand, I seem to vaguely remember now toggling it with a button on the remote? I'm not really sure it's worth the bother. I don't think the output from the Tivo can be altered. Also the footage when dumped onto the Panny is interpreted by my tv (LG B7) as being 4 x 3 aspect so I then have to adjust that to something close to widescreen.

Thanks Gavtech. It's so long since I've done copying I'd forgotten you could alter the quality beforehand, I seem to vaguely remember now toggling it with a button on the remote? I'm not really sure it's worth the bother. I don't think the output from the Tivo can be altered. Also the footage when dumped onto the Panny is interpreted by my tv (LG B7) as being 4 x 3 aspect so I then have to adjust that to something close to widescreen.
Yes - The button is below the green button on the remote. Immediately to the right of the record button.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom