1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Sub - Lifetime or Monthly?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by freeview_ejc, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. freeview_ejc

freeview_ejc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and found nothing.

I've just ordered a TiVo on ebay, and was wondering what everyone else does about the subscription. Here is the predicament:

Lifetime
    +One off payment, then no worries about keeping it up
    +20 months worth, for a potentially longer time
    +might hold its value more when I come to sell it
    -what if TiVo stop supporting UK?
    -what if a better box comes out (as rumoured)?

Monthly
    +Easier on bank balance for the short term
    +Doesn't matter if something better comes along
    +If box went wrong I wouldn't have lost £200
    -Could work out more expensive if it lasts more than 20 months
    -Yet another direct debit to add to my lists

I know ultimately this is a matter of convenience and therefore your all going to be inclined to say "it's up to you" but I suppose the two points I'm getting at are:

1. Will something better come along within the next 20 months that will be worth upgrading? i.e. TiVo series 2 - are there any real differences in what it actually does?

2. As it's obviously second hand (but reconditioned), will it last two years without problems?

How do you pay for yours? Thanks in advance.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I bought mine when they were available in the shops, and bought a lifetime sub. I'm now up on that deal.

However, that was 2 years ago.

Right now, I think I'd go monthly. You've got a good deal, but the sub is only on that box, so if you upgrade to a new box, or the box dies, you're screwed.

Given the age of machines in service, and any hope above hope that we see a new machine, I'd gamble on the monthly sub.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's all this talk about boxes dying?

99% of TiVo problems are hard-drive related. Normally, unless it gets hit by lightning, or trodden on by an elephant, any problems can be fixed by a new hard drive - providing an excellent oportunity to upgrade your capacity at the same time :smashin:

If it does get hit by lightning, then TiVo CS will do you an out-of-warranty swap-out for about £90, and transfer your lifetime sub to the new box for free :)

If you're lucky enought to have bought your TiVo from someone who never subscribed it, you might even still get 1 year's FREE swap-out warranty from TiVo - as this runs from the date the box is first registered with them.

If Humax (or another) bring out a new Series 2 TiVo in the UK, it's possible that TiVo will do what they did in the US and allow you, for a limited period, to transfer your Lifetime Sub to one of the new machines.

Even if they don't, you will still get back most of the value of the lifetime sub if you sell the box on eBay in a year's time - so even if you only keep it for a year, then you will have saved, effectively, £120 compared to the cost of a monthly sub :smashin:

Edit: Changed "allow you to transfer your Lifetime Sub to one of the new machines for a limited period" to "allow you, for a limited period, to transfer your Lifetime Sub"

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I bought my TiVo in November 200 at £400 plus the £200 lifetime sub.
    In all that time I have only had a few lockups which a reboot cured. About 6 months ago as HDD prices dropped through the floor I decided to upgrade to a 120Gb drive and still have the origional drives as spares should I need them. As said the HDD is about the only thing that ever goes wrong, but if anything does there is a company that will do a component level mobo repair for a good price.

38 months in and still going strong! Never switched off and used every day! On a monthly sub that would be £380 and still growing. For that money you can now buy another TiVo WITH a lifetime sub! I know what I'd do if buying another TiVo s/h.

Mark.

5. freeview_ejc

freeview_ejc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again all,

thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to get hold of one with sub, or with any grace period. I do however have a one year guarantee and a 120Gb HD (brand new I think). If it's mainly the HDs that go, I think I'll probably take the lifetime offer. As you say, I'll get more for it when I come to sell it if I want to go for the new TiVo.

Incidentally, what sort of new features can we expect from a new TiVo if Humax get in on the action? Will it even be worth upgrading?

Thanks again.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    At the moment there is little more than rumors that there will even be a Humax TiVo, but Humax are asking for peoples suggestions for new features from TiVo users. If you head over to the TiVo Community forum there is a thread that has many peoples suggestions and is allegedly being watched by Humax.

Mark.

7. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi all,

I just upgraded from monthly to lifetime sub last Friday after recently putting in a 120Gb drive. I had a good long think about it but come to the conclusion that the £99 I paid for it plus £65 for the Samsung 120Gb drive and £200 for the life sub, its one hell of a bargain for a machine with those capabilities.

While on the phone to TiVo I asked the guy for the latest info on the Humax thing and he knew about it but didn't know any details, I also asked if a new model appeared soon would I be able to transfer my life sub to the new machine again didn't know.

Anyway I have committed to TiVo for the long term and fantastic it is......long live TiVo.

Klippie.

8. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind as Klippe says you can start off monthly and upgrade to lifetime at any point. Personally I don't see the point - go for lifetime and in 20 months you are laughing.

9. freeview_ejc

freeview_ejc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased my lifetime sub - realising after only three days, that I can't do without this incredible device!!!

10. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also remember that TIVOs with Lifetime on EBAY usually go for £150-200 for than ones without.....so in reality its a no brainer not to go for Lifetime :smashin:

11. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,406
    I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself when I read "DJW 666" sig line!!!

12. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always a good name for a pub team....especially at a pub quiz when the quiz master has to read it out :laugh: