1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO setup questions....

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bunkerbuster2, Jun 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right..I don't come in this part of the forum very often...so treat me as a Tivo newbie!

I have a Tivo arriving this week.

What i'd like to know is...what is the best way of integrating it into my current system.

I have a 9000es processor with every source switched via S-video
    the two monitor outputs (S-video) are connected to my TV and PJ

I'll need to connect it to an NTL digibox (fitted with a redeye for use with my rc5200)

Any help would be happily recieved!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    TiVo does NOT output S-Video! :(
    It only outputs composite & RGB. To connect to your processor via S-Video you will need a converter from somewhere such as www.rgbtosvideo.com
    You NTL box will connect to TiVo via a scart lead and then output to TV/PJ (via S-video converter) in RGB.
    TiVo will take over the control of the NTL box for channel changing. You will only need to use the NTL directly for interactive/setup etc.
    Most people with a TiVo and a programmable remote tend to still use the TiVo remote as it is just so good. TiVo remote codes are available from www.remotecentral.com

Mark.

3. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The system is fully integrated so there's no way I'll be using the Tive remote!
    can't believe it doesn't output Svideo!..I have a couple of convertors knocking around I can use.

How does it transmit codes to the NTL box?...is it a sitcky eye emmiter? if so does it output the correct signal for a Pace 1000 (IRDA) or do I have to continue using the Redeye interface as well?
    Also...is there any way to use the box as a standalone recorder only..ie without paying any sub!!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Codes are transmitted to the NTL box by either a IR blaster that sends a high powered signal out that bounces back and is picked up by the NTL box or via IR sticky eye. If your box is the Pace 1000 then I believe TiVo cannot control it directly. You will need a converter from www.pacelink.co.uk
    The TiVo can be used without a sub. It will just work like an ordinary VCR (ie no RPG). If the TiVo is brand new then you will get about ten days trial of the EPG etc and this will include the software update to the latest version. If secondhand then you will get no trial.
    IMHO it is well worth paying the sub. This can be either £10 per month or a £200 one off payment.

Mark.