1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bunkerbuster2, Jun 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the TiVo record a program as normal if it (and the cable box it's controlling) is left in standby?

Also...how loud is your TiVo?, not sure if it's me being picky.. but I can hear it even in it's cabinet (sounds like the hard drive)

2. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes the Tivo will still record when in standby, but the cable box must be left “on”.

It could well be HDD that you can hear; the original disk(s) can be quite noisy depending on what the Tivo is doing. I must admit it was one of the reasons that I dropped a new larger disk into my Tivo.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    TiVo will always be recording the last 1/2 hour of whichever channel it happens to be on.

so it fou turn on thelly and switch to TiVo and notice a programme half way through the you would have like to have seen from the begining just hit the record button. TiVo will look in the listings and dump to the programme into your now showing list (assuming the program started withing the last 1/2 hour - otherwise you'll just get the last half hour)

if it has started more than 1/2 an hour ago still hit record becuase in the options it will tell you when its on next and you can shedule one of those future recordings.

don't you just love TiVo

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    TiVo will record from standby and it will also wake up the cable etc box, but this is dependent on the box.
    I have an old OnDigital box and this does get woken up by TiVo, well it would if I ever put it in standby. Since getting TiVo I have just left both switched on at all times. It does neither of them any harm.
    If TiVo will not wake up your cable box then you can get a device from www.pacelink.co.uk that will plug into TiVo and your digibox and gives control. But there again it is cheaper just to leave them switched on!

Mark.

5. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Tivo cant turn any of the current pace boxes on (or off) also the rf2link from www.pacelink.co.uk will only work with Sky STB’s and not with Cable STB’s.:)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Sorry, you are correct the dongle for the Pace 1000/2000 boxes is ordered from TiVo C/S
    If you have a Pace 4000 box then this is not needed.

Mark.

7. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Redeye remote blaster anyway...
    does anyone have any comparisons between this and the Pace dongle

also..I'd like to find out what setting people use the Tivo blaster on to control a 1000 series box with a redeye