1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Nov 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    My VHS video is on its last legs and I need something to replace it.
    I simply want to set manual timer recordings and timeshift. I have no interest in recording suggested TV programs or downloading schedules.

How useful is a Tivo if you do not pay the monthly subscription i.e. can you still use the box for manual timer recordings and timeshifting?
    Do you have to subscribe for a minimum period to get the box up and running and download the latest OS?

Does anyone know of a company offering HDD upgrades to a Tivo? (Its not something I want to try myself.)

2. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't take out the Tivo subscription, you can only use the Tivo for time-shifting live TV (by up to half an hour or so). I'm not aware of any way to do manual recordings when the subscription expires (I think this is a deliberate restriction to encourage owners to subscribe -- Tivo don't make any money on the hardware sales, only on the subscriptions).

When you buy the unit initially, you get seven days free subscription. This is sufficient to download 2-3 weeks of channel listings, along with any necessary software upgrades. After the subscription expires, you can watch any previously recorded programs along with live TV, but not do anything else.

There is someone in the UK offering hard drive upgrades. It's not very straightforward, but not too difficult for anyone familiar with Linux and the inside of a PC. It does void your warranty.

If you're upgrading the hard drive, it should also be possible to tweak the live TV cache. This defaults to 30 minutes, but (by editing some config files) can be set to be as large as the entire hard drive. With a 160 Gb drive at the lowest quality, this would give you around 160 hours (approx one week) of buffered recording, though scanning through it would be a real pain -- the default maximum scan speed is 60x. (There are hacks to speed this up.)

Eddy

3. dmins

dmins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:HOW USEFUL IS TIVO IF YOU DON'T
    SUBSCRIBE?THE ANSWER IS TIVO BECOMES A £299 PAPERWEIGHT
    GLAD TO HAVE BEEN OF HELP
    DAVEM

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH AV KINDRED SPIRITS EVERYWHERE.

4. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Particularly the hard of hearing ;)