Tivo Question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by scifi_nut, Dec 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. scifi_nut

scifi_nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just a quick question on the Tivo.

If you don't subscribe to the service what services can you get
    with the box ????. Is the hard disk recording disabled like Sky+

Thanks in advance

:confused:

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Providing it's running the latest software (2.5), it will allow manual timed recordings and pause live tv for up to 30 minutes.

You will have no guide data, so recordings will appear on the screen with no title, just time/date recorded.

I bought a 2nd Tivo (un-subbed) some months after my 1st (subscribed) and soon got sick of all the missing features I was used to having on the 1st.

Although it was another tenner a month to subcribe the 2nd one, I bit the bullet.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd advise you to try the monthly subscription for 1 month (there's no minumum contract length) to see how you like it. I guarantee that once you have used your TiVo with a subscription you'll never want to go back to using it like a dumb VCR :eek: ;)

Then you should change to a lifetime subscription as soon as you can afford it. I know it's £199 upfront - but after 20 months you will have broken even vs. a monthly sub :smashin:

And if, God forbid, you ever decide to sell your Tivo, the lifetime sub will add £200 to the price on eBay - so you'll get your money back :D :D

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Agree with blindlemon - You must try it for at least a month, so you know what you are missing.

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I reckon a few days' use should be enough to convince most people. :smashin:

It's a shame that you don't get a "grace period" with a 2nd hand Tivo :(

6. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took me half a day to realise what the subscription does for you and it's value to the whole tivo experience.
    I would not ever be without my tivo (subscribed) now as it's too awesome a "tool" to be without.
    Typical example: Been away for 4 days and totally forgot to set the tivo to record. Come back this morning and everything recorded for me!!!
    I love my tivo to bits, and would never part with it! Get the subscription as in my honest opinion, it makes the tivo what it is.
    The ONLY true PVR!

Cheers,

THX THX THX