1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO - Question over extended warranty and lifetime subscription

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Dekim, Feb 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have another quick TIVO question.

If I buy the unit with a 5 year extended warrantity and also opt for the lifetime subscription of 200 pounds will the lifetime subscription apply for the full 5 years?

I am not sure about this because if the unit is repaired after, say, 3 years thats ok but if it has to be replaced under the warranty then technically I will have a new machine and will need to purchase a new subscription. (thats if they havn't gone bust by then)

Any comments would be appreciated

2. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Lifetime Subscription is for the life of the individual unit, as far as I know. I assume you're going to get an extended warranty as an extra cost (Mastercare etc). Given that the cost of the extended warranty may be as much as a new TIVO unit (when I got mine it was something like £150 for another two years so I didn't bother), it would be best to ring TIVO customer services and double check the situation.

3. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks,

Yes the reason I was asking is Curries are doing a five year warranty for 125 pounds. So over 5 years 200 pound subscription divided by 60 months only works out at 3.33/month rental.

Just me being tight as i'm broke ATM (big mortgage and alcoholism doesnt help)

cheers

4. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an interesting question and I'm not sure if anyone has put it to the test yet. I've got an extended Mastercare warranty on my unit which has lifetime subscription and I would hope that since Mastercare would repair or replace the unit then TiVo should respect this and transfer the subscription to the replacement box (should I be given one).

Subscriptions can be transferred between boxes, it's been done before but usually when a box is replaced while still in warranty. If you have an extended warranty then the same rule should apply.

5. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just took the plunge and bought a TIVO. I got it from curries. It had the serial no 619e. I phoned Tivo they said it was an old model and may need the Nicam tuner replacing. I took it straight back. Curries had told me it was a new unit and only 4 weeks old. The woman at curries said they had had it in stock for ages! The slaes guy had lied to me). In the end they sent me to Dixons for a new one (6023) and after waiting for 30 mins due to a paperwork descrepency I managed to walk out with a unit (god I hate Dixons!)

Anyway to get to the point I was tied up and and recieved 40 lashes because I wouldnt go for the warranty. But the guy did say that the subscription could be carried over to a replacement unit under their 5 yr guarantee. I don't know if he was just saying this to get his commission tho.

Cheers

Dek

6. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ knows, Dixons/Comet/<insert any high street store name> will say anything to close a deal in my opinion. OK, that's a little unfair as there are salespeople on this Earth who will sell you what you want rather than what earns them the best commission but sadly they are few and far between. Hence the pushing of Sky+ - no slight against the product but it's an easier sell at the end of the day!

I bought my 6020 in September 2001 so your 601E (not heard of a 6019 - 601E/601F yes) was WELL old! And it definately would have had the NICAM problem (and dual disks too - oooh, should you have kept it? :devil: )

As for warranties, it seems that the sales people earn more commission on the warranty than the actual product the warranty is being purchased for! I don't think I'd believe anything with regard to the warranty unless I had it in writing from TiVo Customer Services.

7. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tivo doesn't generally transfer Lifetime subscriptions unless the unit fails within the 12 months manufacturer warranty, those extended warranties mean nothing, they only replace/repair your hardware.

Your subscription is with TIVO not the manufacturer.

Oh and you may find after a while that you want to upgrade your TIVO, if you do your warranties will be void (extended or not).

8. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi and thanks for the reply,

I put the wrong no down the unit I got was a 601e.

I don't know if to contact customer services and go for the 5 yr warranty (125 quid). I suppose the biggest thing to fail would be the hard disc and at the end of the day it is more than likely going to have been replaced with one of greater capacity.

Btw when you mentioned I should have kept the old one is that becuase having 2 drives is better than one? I think if I upgraded mine I would only put a 120 gig drive in only. It's all I can afford!

I look forward to any comments

btw i'm still struggling to get my head round all this new technology.

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found TiVo to be so astonishingly simple to use I was checking the manual to see if I had missed something! The manual is well written and an example others should follow. Watch out for some excellent upgrades coming soon!

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Right I have been around all the local dealers. 601e and 601f only so far. I guess they don't sell many! (One more shop to try).

Am I right in assuming that they will be dual HD machines (one big, one small) that will allow me to easily replace the small HD with a new big one.

This NICAM fault thingy, as I intend to use SCARTS (not RF) am I correct in assuming that it might not be an issue for me?

11. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Re the older units, i'm told its only a minor update ie the nicam tuner needs replacing.

I rang TIVO customer services and was very impressed with them. I didn't have to wait long and the guy was really helpful. He said that it doesn't effect everyone.

I seem to understand that you may be best getting one of the older units and getting TIVO to update the tuner FOC. You will have a unit with 2 drives and can update either of the 2 internal drives.

I'm no expert but this is the info I have gleened from the helpful people on this forum

I can't wait to get home and finish setting up my new TIVO. :)