TIVO - queries before I buy one

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Duncan Harvey, Jan 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some queries re Tivo as I am contemplating getting one.

I only use digital tv (via DTT boxes) as my analogue signal is awful. Can the Tivo “control” the DTT boxes in order to change channel to record different progs. Eg if I set it to season pass Enterprise on sky one and Friends on E4 will I need to manually change the channel on the digibox, or will the Tivo do it for me.

Also, has the Tivo been upgraded to account for overruns on channels?

Finally – does it take an RGB feed from a digibox, and can it do RGB out? I’d like to take the RGB out and use an active buffer and an rgb to s video converter to archive to DVHS.

Finally – I’d only be recording (I suspect) at the highest possible recording quality, and hence the internal HDD might not be enough – has anyone upgraded it with a higher capacity drive, or an additional drive (perhaps slaved to the master inside the box?)

Any thoughts or answers are much appreciated.

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    < 1 > TIVO comes with a IR transmitter which clips to the top of your Digital box and fires the IR signal allowing TIVO to change the channel for you.

When you run the initial set-up this is included in that. You have to tell TIVO what model box you have then run through a list of IR codes to see which works best. Only takes a few minutes to get perfect.

< 2 > At present it only records the program in the sceduled time slot. So if you season pass Enterprise it will change you box to Sky one at seconds b4 2000Hrs on Monday nights and then stop recording at 2100Hrs

I have not yet missed the end of any Sky One programmes but have missed last few seconds of BBC 1 and 2.

I believe that the next software upgrade ( available soon ) allows you to set a small overrun both at begginning and end of program.

< 3 > If you set the box to record RGB it will do. If you set the box to output RGB it will do. One thing you MUST do though is to restart your box ( using one of the on-screen menus ) the 1st time you change to RGB output.

< 4 > The Hard Drive can be upgraded, peopla have installed massive 160GB drives. Its not supposed to be a difficult procedure but I would see how you get on with the initial 12 hours first. Its more than it seems.

My BIG answer to you is get one, there brilliant.

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers - will order one.

Two Duncans, two Tivos - a scary combination!

4. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded mine today. Replaced the 40Gb drive with a 100Gb, and added a 160Gb drive. It's a piece of cake follow the link below for very well laid out instructions.

I went from 39 hours basic to 289. 82 Best from 12.

I can't tell the difference between best and high ( I get 134 hours on high).

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

Cheers

5. manzo

manzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Does this work if you have changed the order of the channels on your DTT box, or can Tivo only handle the default channel list.

Having just shelled out on a new video and my first widescreen tv (oh, and a house!), I'm desperately trying to resist the temptation of a Tivo. And a Pronto! :D

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a part of the initial set-up, TiVo asks you to confirm which channels you use from a list of channels available on each chnanel number, so yes, you do have to use the default settings on your digital box. However TiVo does provide a favourite channels feature for those you watch most.

7. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    don't resist you know you need them!!!!:D

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Shall be investing myself at the beginning of next month...

Can't wait... bloody sick of everything that can go wrong with videoplus... usually me forgetting to even set the thing.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    It is probably the best money I have ever spent on any of my AV gear ever.

Off work today sick :( but at least I have tons to watch. Its just so easy to use and its more like having your own personal TV channel showing shows just for you rather than a clever video.

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Duncan W, TiVo really is a satisfying product, it is extremely flexible and easy to use. My VCR has not been used since I bought TiVo and I don't miss it! New upgrades due shortly will make TiVo a hard to beat product. Invest and enjoy! Incidentally Pointon, how do you 'invest yourself', sounds mighty painful! ;)

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I've got to agree with everyone else who has posted here tivo is the best £500 i've ever spent (box and lifetime connection), since having the little box of tricks I havent watched normal TV once (except when visiting my mum's, when I missed half of eastenders coz she couldnt pause it :mad: )

When I first got mine I had problems archiving from my tivo to my DVD recorder but with a little bit of advice from tivo and pannasonic I got that problem sorted.

I dont think I could go back one from owning one, it is an investment you will come to love and cherish.

Dodgy mentioned getting an upgrade on the hard drive to give you more recording time, i'm gonna do this at the end of the month, and dont know why tivo cant offer this service themselves. If you get an upgrade I have heard through the rumour mill that it invalidates your warrenty, anyone know if this is true, not that i'm really bothered.

12. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, upgrading invalidates your warranty because you have to open the box to get access to the drive(s) - opening the box instantly voids your warranty (yeah, right).

Not sure it matters that much though, I've upgraded mine and subsequently had to have it taken away for the NICAM fix - I replaced the original drives and nobody was any the wiser.

TiVo have publicly stated they don't object to owners upgrading their drives provided they don't cause problems and contact Customer Services, which is a fair policy. If you have a problem visit http://www.tivocommunity.com.

I've recently switched to a lifetime subscription now that I'm confident the upgrade works without any problems - prior to that I paid monthly to minimise my losses should it all have gone horribly wrong (which it didn't, piece of cake). :D

13. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Millhose did you do it yourself, a lot of the sites i've looked at say "order this and here are the instructions" (but in more words). where did you get it done? how much?

14. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did it myself - bought two 100Gb drives (Maxtor 5400RPM) from Novatech, downloaded and printed off Hinsdales instructions (free), created the CD-ROM boot disk from the ISO mentioned in the instructions (again a free download) and from beginning to end it took me about 1 hour 30 minutes (that's the elapsed time from removing the TiVo under the TV to putting it back!)

If you don't have access to an Intel PC then you will need to find someone willing to help you out, the CD-ROM boot disk makes things easier and quicker than the floppy disk equivalent (you may need 13 or more floppies! :( ) but is also only possible if you have a CD-ROM burner at your disposal.

Total cost for me was £400 since each disk cost £200 (Ouch! This was 5 months ago, they're much cheaper now of course!)

I would avoid 160Gb drives since the TiVo IDE interface is limited to 128Gb per disk, so you would be wasting 30Gb+ of space and also there may be issues with 160Gb causing lock ups (the suspicion is the TiVo can see the 160Gb of space but when it tries to access it it gets an error). 120Gb disks are OK.

Upgraded disk drives will continue to work after you receive the 2.5.5 software upgrade, the software tools to perform the upgrade should work post 2.5.5 but if I were you I would do the upgrade before you receive 2.5.5, just in case.

The only other thing: I was lucky in that I purchased a dual drive TiVo (6020), this meant I already had both hard drive mounting brackets. If you only have a single drive unit and are intending to install a second drive then you will either have to use a Heath Robinson kludge of rubber feet and wire ties to hold the drive in place or go to 9th Tee and order a mounting bracket from the States.

15. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    milhouse thanks for the advice, looks like i'm gonna have to uppgrade pretty quick, i'm not sure which model tivo i've got don't suppose i will until i take it to bits, but it looks like thats my next investment. Oh well looks like I cant afford a projector till next month:(

16. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get an idea by looking at your service number which will be of the form 023-0000-AAAA-BBBB where AAAA is either 601E, 601F, 6020, 6021, 6022 or 6023. This is printed in the back of your manual and also appears on the System Information page (on the TiVo menu - probably the most reliable source for this number!)

Up to about 6020 most TiVo's were dual drive units. It's possible that some 6021 units were dual drive. Obviously the only definite way to tell is to open it up (or possibly try and have a look through the vents and spot the second drive!) The lid is normally quite a bu**er to get off as it is on pretty tight.

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading post 2.5.5 (which should be with us "real soon now!") as although there may be minor issues with the current upgrade tools I'm confident these problems will be resolved fairly quickly (there are Betas floating around) and then it will be business as usual. :D

17. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confucius, there are a couple of people who will "upgrade" your Tivo for a small fee if you want to upgrade but feel you're not technically capable, do a search on the Tivo forum here

Steve

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tried to buy a Tivo today locally @£229.30. Currys had three 601f, one 6020 and a 6022. Were priced in store at £299 but no problem matching website price. Comet told me they are a discontinued line and suggested I buy the new Tivo, ( turned out to be Skyplus+) instead. Powerhouse also stated they are now discontinued, Courts allegedly now pulling out of electricals had sold out and would get no more, - of anything tv related. Dixons said they could get me one by Wednesday, no idea what the service code would be, also advised me to buy a Skyplus+.
    Is this telling me the Tivo Thomson Scenium is being dropped everywhere, if so what will the future support be?
    I already have a Skyplus+. but maybe my needs will be best served with a second, instead of the Tivo.
    However, I am interested in the new features Tivo will offer, why won't Sky put the Tivo operating system into the Skyplus+.

19. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what the hell is going on, trouble is when did you ever get told the "real deal" by a PFY (pimply faced youth) on the high street?

TiVo have been beta testing the next (UK specific) version of their software for the last 6+ months (I've been part of the trial) and will be rolling it out to all customers over the next 6 weeks... what does that say?