1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tivo q's

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by THX THX THX, Nov 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to upgrade the hard disk on my tivo. I have the thomson model with two hd's inside (a 15gb and a 30gb)
    Which of these will be the drive that I will have to image? (the one that contains all the tivo software etc)
    I've downloaded the 10mb cd that is needed to do the image and have a set of instructions of how to do it all, but the instructions refer to a single drive model.
    Was thinking of having the 120gb and the 30gb drive in the machine, or possibly two 120gb drives (if i can find a good deal on drives somewhere)
    Any ideas on which is the best hard disk to buy? Does a 7,200 rpm drive spin too fast and get too hot?
    Also have noticed that the system fan stays on even in standby mode. Is this normal?

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hinsdale's Guide is a must if you haven't taken a look at it. I'm pretty sure it covers any of the upgrade combinations. (1 drive, 2 drive, replace, add, etc)

Hinsdale's Guide

I've heard that TiVo is geared for a 5400 drive, so a 7200 doesn't provide any performance benefit. It won't hurt, but in the end it comes down to the noise. I've got a Maxtor 7200 in mine, and I can barely hear it. Had it running for nearly a year straight with no issues.

I'm pretty sure the TiVo HD is constantly running, even in standby. This is normal. It's meant to be on all the time, keeping a TV buffer, which bothers some people.

There's a lot of talk on the TiVo forums about the best drive, but I think most choose Western Digital, with Maxtor probably coming a close second.

3. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll need to connect both of them up to your PC to take a backup.

7200 is fine. Samsumg disks have the longest warranty.

The fan stays on 24/7, as the TiVo is recording 24/7. Standpby just switches off the video output.

4. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

cleared up a few issues there.

Cheers,

THX THX THX

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I've just put a Samsung 7200 rpm drive in my TiVo and have noticed no increase in sound or heat from TiVo.
    Most if not all Samsung drives come with a 3 year warrenty, so are a good deal and are fairly cheap - 120Gb for around £60.
    I used the Hinsdale guide to upgrade my 2 drive TiVo to a single 120Gb drive. The instructions are very clear and simple to follow as long as you know what you are doing inside a PC. The PC needs to have a FAT32 partition if you are running Win NT/2000/XP, but if 98 etc then just connect up and away you go.
    If you are going from 2 drives to 1 then you will not be able to keep your recordings, but '1 to 1' or '2 to 2' you have the options of keeping all your recordings. It will just take a lot longer to do the backup.

Mark.

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too can vouch for the Hinsdale Guides, I used the guide a week ago to increase the capacity of my Tivo to 160GB (56 Hours :cool: ). I used a 7200rpm Maxtor drive, which is quieter than the original one that's been left in there.

The only thing is, it's started me off looking at all the other tweaks and hacks available, and I'm not sure where it'll end, I've already ordered a network card for it....... :rolleyes:

7. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    I replaced my two drives with a single 120gb 7200rpm unit and its a lot quieter than the two drive were also seems to run at a lower temp.

8. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps for the replies. I'm gonna go down the twin drive route I think, as the price of 120gb drives is really cheap at the moment. Hopefully 240gb TiVo by the end of the weekend.......
    Will let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

THX THX THX

9. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    A lot of people on the Tivo forum seem to think a single 120gb drive is more reliable than a twin drives ?

10. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The trouble with using 2 drives is that you are doubling the points of failure - and if one drive fails you can't just replace that and carry on... you have to restore a backup to 2 clean drives, losing your recordings in the process.

However, on the upside, using 2 drives will also result in each drive being (slightly) less harshly used, as the database and OS will reside on drive A with recorded programmes only on drive B.

I'm currently umming and aaahing about whether to upgrade from 1x120gb to 2x120gb in my main TiVo. It's soooo tempting to think of all that extra space - but then if a drive fails I'd lose twice as many recordings :eek:

If I do do it, then I'll definitely thrash the bug***y out of the new drive with something like http://www.geocities.com/vgrinenko/DiskSpeed32/ to make sure it's a good-un first...

FYI, I would recommend Samsung drives too - they're cool, quiet and have a 3 year warranty.