Tivo Pc connection turbo card?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stephinson, Oct 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease:
    Hi I have had my tivo for nearly 2 years
    and I upgraded it to 2 120 gig hard drives
    and it`s getting full I know the limit is 2 x 137 gig hard drives
    but reading though this forum it seems that with a turbo card(I presume its a network card?)
    That I could use space on my pc that has limitless space
    And could it also play my home movies from my pc though the menu on tivo
    please could someone help or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Paul

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You can actually upgrade TiVos beyond 2 x 137, in fact 2 x 300gb is perfectly possible, though a lot more difficult as it required kernal modification as part of the upgrade. I've never done it as I don't see any need to go beyond 2 x 120gb and I record a LOT.

Get yourself a TurboNet card, or even a Turbo Cache card that should also speed up accress times. If you managed a disk upgrade you'll breeze a network card installation.

Check out this discussion thread, it was more to do with merits of TiVo vs. Sky+ but if you read it you'll get an idea what can be achieved once you got that network card installed.

One word of warning, these programs are BIG files and ity take quite a time to download the shows to your PC, but you can then burn them to DVD.

You can play movies that are ON your TiVo directly from a PC, I'm not aware of being able to play movies stored on your PC on your TiVo though, that doesn't mean it's impossible, just I've not heard of it.

Mark.

3. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The upgrade to a bigger disk(more than 137gig) is very straight forward and as Mark said the cachecard is the best bet with 512 of ram.

I have finally got TYserver working and can download stuff from the Tivo to the pc.

The version of the software I have although a Beta also does the DVD creation etc and allows you to add menus and edit stuff as well.I am very impressed with it.

I am not the most techy person with Linux but I managed to install it ok.Also have Endpad running as well and Tivo web.Just wish I had bought a Tivo years ago.

Steve

4. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you any info on how to put disks bigger than 137gig
    on tivo and where can I buy turbo cards from?

Thanks

5. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Me again
    I have just read the links from mark
    thanks I think I have the info I need
    Thanks for your help

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it's possible, at the end of the day you would "only" have to map a network drive and move the files to that, but you'd have to be pretty clever to get the OS to recognise the new location. I think if you need more than 2 x 300Gb then you should either a) see a doctor or b) buy a second Tivo!

Dave