Tivo - Panasonic projector cabling help required!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Big Sy, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Big Sy

Big Sy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently bought a Panasonic PT-AE100 projector, which is excellent. I currently have a Tivo set up to view my Sky through - and I ned advice on the best way to connect the two. I can use either S-Video or Component cables to connect the Projector to my DVD, but I wanted to be able to watch Sky sports or movies on the big screen too - how best to do this?

The Tivo outputs are all scart of course and the Panasonic sky box I have doesn't have an s-video output either.

All help much appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. Big Sy

Big Sy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that, I am trying to keep the costs down at the mo, where do suggest getting a 2nd hand one?

Also would a Scart to S-Video cable direct from the Tivo to the Projector not do the job?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,482
    No, because TiVo does not output S-Video. It only outputs composite (avoid at all costs) and RGB. If you need any other signal type then you will need to convert the RGB signal with the JS-Tech boxes recommended by HD. I've been useing the JS-Tech converters since I got my plasma about 2 years ago and can highly recommend them. Although not the cheapest, they are the best.
    You can get RGB to VGA, RGB to S-Video or RGB to YUV component depending on the inputs on your PJ. Check the specs of your PJ as if it has a VGA input then you may be able to use a Scart to VGA cable if the VGA input can accept RGBS (sync on composite) as this is the version of RGB output from the scart socket on a TiVo and most STB's.
    Keep a look at the Hardware Classifieds forum on here as the boxes do crop up S/H at fairly regular intervals.

Mark.