• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TiVo outputs lower volume than Samsung HD?

christam

Prominent Member
Has anyone else had this? I run everything through an amp and while most HD channels with the Samsung box were happy with a volume setting of -35/36, I'm finding that with the TiVo box I've got to raise the volume to -28/30 on HD. I haven't tried any SD yet but I'd imagine that will need an even higher volume setting.

It's no great problem, obviously, but I'm curious to know whether it's the same with all the TiVo boxes. (HDMI only connection, by the way.)

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I had an SA V+ and can't say I've noticed any difference between the volume levels I used to get compared to those I now get from my TiVo. Did you have an HD activated Smsung box or were you just getting SD? HD channels with Dolby Digital audio will sound quieter at times because of the wider dynamic range Dolby Dgital facilitates, but this will be the case with the V+, the standard HD box and the new TiVo.

Last edited:

five5v

Standard Member
I would agree that the volume differs widely with the TiVo. For example, the SD music channels tend to be louder than say the SD terrestrial channels. HD channels seem to be quieter in general, presumably due to Dolby Digital as mentioned. Finally, BBC iPlayer is REALLY LOUD relatively.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom