Tivo or sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by stevedowns64, Jun 22, 2002.

1. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one shall i go for Tivo or Sky+

2. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The tivo is cheaper in the long run, the £10 to sky every month stops lots of people. If you watch lots of sky you are able to record (nearly said tape then) one sky channel and watch another at the same time, which can't be done with the Tivo.

James

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    stevedowns64,
    If you are interested in a Tivo there is a good source of information at www.tivocommunity.com.
    Slightly looked at through rose tinted specs but that's only to be expected.
    I have had both since they first came out, they are both much superior to a Vcr, in some ways, both annoying in others.
    Skyplus+ is the best if you want to use it like a vcr, i.e. set it yourself to record specific programmes.
    I find Tivo isn't as reliable at recording specific programmes when it should, but it does record things it thinks you might like, or even things BBC pay Tivo to make your machine record, whether you like it or not, even dis-regarding "water shed" protocol.
    Skyplus+ isn't perfect, I have complained about missed recordings and premature cut-off points, the former seems to have been solved, the latter is likely to have a "padding" software upgrade soon. Tivo already allows this. Of course, you can always record the following programme with both.
    Skyplus+ series links are patchy and not well supported by broadcasters, Tivo season passes are better but still hit and miss.
    Skyplus offers 5.1 audio, better picture quality and if you intend to record off sky, the two tuners are handy. Tivo suffers in comparison.
    Finally, Thomson Tivos are being cleared out by (all?) retailers, lots of bargains, £99 upwards. The Tivo operating system is being built in to Toshiba and other makers products and there is a new Tivo2 in the U.S. Don't be put off by the dumping of product, Tivo will have a future, some way.

4. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been reading some of the threads and there appears to be alot of unhappy owners of sky+ and tivo,most of the magazine reviews ive read favour Tivo to sky+.
    tivo is £120 cheaper than sky+.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    stevedowns64,
    I understand your confusion, as with most products mentioned in forums, it's the unhappy owners that are most prominent, the happy owners often haven't any reason to post. It can give you completely untrue perspectives.
    By nature folks interested in AV tend to seek perfection, and are never truly content.
    With a few exceptions (there's always someone), I'm sure every Tivo / Skyplus+ owner wouldn't go back to just VHS, despite the operational quirks of PVRs.
    Both are fantastic, in actual fact I never bother mentioning it but I have two Tivos, I would repeat my original comment.
    For recording specific programmes... forget Tivo pay the extra get Skyplus+ :)
    For all it's other good points, they are a bargain... Buy a Tivo ! :)

6. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, I agree. If quality's your prime concern go for Sky+. I records the source mpeg file so keeps the same quality, unlike TIVO which has to capture itself, so will generally never be as good quality. Plus you get 5.1 on some movies with Sky+.....