Tivo or Sky+ ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dermie, Dec 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dermie

dermie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, I'd like to get a PVR and after reading some of the forums, 'm torn between Sky+ and Tivo, leaning more toward Tivo because of the wishlists and it can work with more basic Sky+ packages so its cheaper.

I'm not interested in Sky Sports, movie or other premium channels.

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few Tivo systems for sale second hand as their owners move to Sky+. I've also noticed that Tivo aren't selling any new boxes in the U.K.

Against this background, can anyone please let me know the merits and perils of still choosing Tivo versus Sky+.

thanks very much:p

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    dermie

There are loads of threads on this very subject on this forum. A quick click on the Search button above with afew well considered words should do the trick :)

Good luck. No good asking me as I have both and each have their merits and pitfalls. Depends what you want I guess. Pic quality, sound quality, ease of use, season passes. etc.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've had a TiVo for more than a year now, and even though Sky+ dual recording is pushing me a little closer, I still wouldn't trade my TiVo for Sky+.

And because the second-hand sales are so strong, you really can't lose money on a TiVo box. If you buy one and don't like it (doubtful, but anything could happen), then you should have no trouble re-selling it.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sky+
    records the digital stream - therefore in theory you get better PQ.
    The software allows for Sky to block FF through adverts
    Films can be auto deleted from HDD
    No lifetime sub available (you state you don't want premium channels therefore will NEED to pay £10p/m).

TiVo
    Only able to get s/h boxes unless VERY lucky ie not guarentee.
    £10p/m or £200 lifetime sub to be paid for full service
    Season pass that works even if channel or time of prog change
    Suggestions - record progs it thinks you will like automatically.
    Wishlist - set TiVo to record any prog by Actor, Director, Key Words etc.
    Can add network card to allow setting of timer via internet etc.
    Large group of users creating hacks for auto padding or recordings etc etc.

IMHO TiVo is the best PVR software available anywhere.
    I've had TiVo since its launch in October 2000 and would never be without it now (given a choice!).

Mark.

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are dealers out there who will sell you a new Tivo with a 12 month warranty, and not charge the earth for it (I bought one recently for £200 inc delivery)

The Tivo has a huge "hacking" community behind it which provides new / additional features. Well worth a look at, and will help you to find a good dealer, start here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

and some other info for archiving etc here

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/

There's also a good comparison page for Tivo and Sky+ here

http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/TIVOvsSKY.htm

Which covers the pro's and con's of each.

6. dermie

dermie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all very much lads. I've trawled through several forums now and I'm sure I want a Tivo.

I don't suppose Currys or Dixons would have any remaining?

From what I've read, it isn't possible to get a Tivo Series 2 box on this side of the Atlantic or one of the new Tivo-DVD boxes they're selling in the States.

Is there any realistic liklihood these will be on sale here early in 2004?

Can you recommend any dealers please via a PM if necessary?

thanks again to you all for sharing your expertise

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    US Models don't work in the UK, even when you've resolved the PAL tuner issue, they can't be registered for the guide info.

Take a look on ebay for a chap called

eldoctorpocoloco

Current auction £200 each (new)
    There were 25 when I took this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=298&item=3066443405

He's based in Guildford, advertises in T3 and I'd recommend him. If you buy now you'll get the box by Xmas.

or
    TivoLand (£240 Refurb)

http://www.floridavilla.com/tivoland/index.html

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    There are no current or even likely to be any new boxes available in the UK for the foreseeable future :rolleyes: . The Thomson box is the one and only UK model now and probably for at least a year or two.Well this isn't all bad news. At least it makes the choice easy, buy TiVo or don't!

Mark.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But TiVo is doing really well in the States now. You could conceivably see a "relaunch" in the UK market sometime in the future. The chances are probably slim, but it's still a possibility.

10. dermie

dermie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've put down my money for the Tivo from the gentleman recommended by Jason. It won't arrive until after New Year. In the meantime I'll start looking for upgrade material.

Does a Tivo typically need additional sound-proofing?

11. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on which drive you upgrade with you may get a bit of hard drive noise, but to be honest it's hardly noticeable.

The times I notice the noise is when I've just been through and deleted a whole load of stuff, and when changing channels as the Live Buffer resets itself, normal playback doesn't seem to generate any noise.

As a guide, in mine I have the original 40Gb drive and a Maxtor 120Gb, the Maxtor is virtually silent ( can be heard with the case off) and the original drive is the noisy one.

Samsung drives seem to be the preferred drive of the moment for Tivo upgrades as they're very quiet and have a good warranty, but they're like hen's teeth to find.

I recently spent a small fortune silencing my home PC ( I work at home a lot) and the Tivo is as quiet (<30dB ) without messing about with it.

I can highly recommend getting a network card for it ( ww.laser.co.uk) as well.

12. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are very quick, then a dealer was selling 18 TIVOs yesterday on EBAY for £199 all in, with 12 month warrantly. Only 2 left this morning !!!

13. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably the same seller that I linked to earlier, he has regular auctions (almost weekly) and they're always the same price, and go very fast.

I wish I knew where he gets his stock from...

14. dermie

dermie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, that is the same man I bought from.

I'll let you know how I get on once it arrives.

15. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The chap on e-bay is Rob.

I picked up my NEW Tivo from him nearly a month ago.
    I can honestly say that the man is trust worthy but expect a long wait.

The only problem I've got is that I don't even know if mine works, I've never turned it on, I've never recorded with it, I'm not allowed!!!!!

That's what you get when you persuade the wife to buy you a new Tivo for xmas!!!!!

Just one more day and then it's time to play.

surrey lad

16. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wot he said!
    Tivo is everything Sky+ wants to be. Dont forget you can connect both Freeview and Sky to your Tivo and watch one while recording another.

Tivo is simply the best bit of AV kit you will ever buy! :clap:

17. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking at ditching sky and sky plus, is it really worth buying a tivo to work with freeview, or should i buy a pace twin?

How does it know what shows you like, and is the box massive compared to the new freeview, sky plus... size boxes?

regards

18. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Tivo has thumbs up and thumbs down buttons, and you can rate programs manually or it figures it out from what you record, season passes you have and what wishlists you have set up.
    In fact I've discovered a few programs through the suggestions that I didn't even know existed! :smashin:
    Ive not seen a pace twin so can't comment on which is best tbh, but i'd be amazed if anything came close to the spohistication of the Tivo!

As for the size of the box, it is quite chunky, yeah...

19. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it would be, can someone please give me the dimension so i can see for myself, Is it worth getting TIVO for freeview,

I am ditching sky because i do not think its worth £480 per year

And theres never any films on and i could but 50 films a year that i like on dvd and keep them forever.

20. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TiVo unit is 43w x 10h x 32d cm

IMO there is nothing that comes close to the functions of TiVo. Pace Twin is just a dumb recorder, it does not have many of the functions you get from TiVo.
    TiVo is the only true PVR!!!!!

Mark.

21. browellm

browellm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Get a tivo and you'll never look back. I have it with freeview, it's a fantastic match up.:smashin:

22. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 TiVos - 1 with a Sky digibox and 1 with Freeview.

TiVo works great with either platform - and actually gives more suggestions for programmes with Freeview!!

Out of the box it will start recording stuff off it's own bat - no user intervention required! Once you give a few things the thumbs-up, and a few the thumbs-down it will begin to figure out what you like and don't like. All programmes are assigned between 1 and 3 "genres" and it takes note of the actors/directors and keywords in the programmes you rate too, so if you give a couple of thumbs-up to programmes with the word "shark" in the title or description.... it will start recording programmes about sharks for you :)

You can also control more explicitly what it records, by setting up "Wishlists" - eg. for an Actor or director (or even a keyword!) you like. And you can assign relative priorities to these so that, for instance, it will record films with Emmanuelle Beart in preference to programmes about dung-beetles - even though you have expressed an interest in both! :D:D

Nobody I know who has a TiVo would ever consider parting with it. After a while you don't know or care anymore what's on which channel, or when - your TiVo just sits there checking the listings, changing channels on your Sky/Freeview STB, and silently recording relevant programmes for you 24x7, 365 days a year.

What could beat that? :smashin:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the TiVo box can be stood on end and tucked behind your TV if you need the shelf space. The IR sensor is very sensitive and I have both my TiVos behind the TV like this with no problems. ;)

23. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Can I ask why? :confused:
    I've got both the Freeview and Sky connected to a single Tivo - what are your perceived benefits of having two?
    Can't say I've ever heard of that setup - I’m intrigued as to why :)

24. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual Record..... and Dual Playback :D:D

My 2 TiVos can be recording 2 conflicting programmes at the same time - while I'm watching a recording from one in the lounge and the kids are watching a recording from the other (via remote sender) in the family room :clap:

Oh yeah, and I get 2 TiVos to play with, too ;)

25. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Its just being greedy really :p

Not that i`m jealous or anything :D

26. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    And I just don't have the room to get both my TiVo's connected :rolleyes:

The spare is in the loft collecting dust, but would come in handy at times. I just need a bigger place to live :D

Mark.