Tivo or Sky+ for picture quality?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tfraser, Jan 31, 2002.

1. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any authoritative opinions...?

Thanks

2. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sky + records in mpeg2 format & picture is super + films that are boardcast dd 5.1 are recorded as dd5.1 & play back as that ..wicked

boogie man

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Technically SKY+ is the better option.

It records the mpeg2 datastream digitally and then when required feeds it to the decoder.
    No loss of resolution and no added noise.

TIVO has to encode/compress/decode the SKY digiboxes output which can't help but reduce picture quality.

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Completely agree with Starburst.

All a Sky+ box is doing is taking the digital data from the dish and writing it away to disk. And then on reply its reading from the disk, rather than picking it up from the satellite. So the datastream being decoded either "live" or "recorded" is absolutely identical. All you have done is time-shifted the programme.

Of course this produces the best possible picture, but it also means you have no choice in the matter, i.e. if you want to record something on "crappy" picture settings - to increase available recording space - you can't. All Sky+ can do is to record the digital data stream and then read it back again.

Chip.

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets put a different slant on this. This would be a simple answer if the Sky+ box produced the best picture of any digibox. But, in my opinion, it doesn't. It has a tendancy to edge bleed pictures slightly more than a Panasonic or Sony box.

So a Pana box picture recorded to Tivo (with all the associated digital-analogue-digital-analogue conversion) compared to a Pace Sky+ box with only one digital-analogue conversion?

I don't know but I would be keen to hear from anybody with experience of seeing both.

By the way, in ALL other respects the picture from a Sky+ box is superb.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but then picture from tivo is also excellent, if you want it to be - but if you need more space then you have the choice to choose a lower setting.

which is better? well both are better than tape!!

So if its not all about picture quality, as both are good. then look at how each works, what functions you require!!

Gary

PS. TIVO has great software and upgraded SOON!

PSS. their some owners of both on the tivo forum

7. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tivo, and to be honest, picture quality is not a real issue. I use the second highest mostly (High). I tried the next setting down (don't need it now, upgraded to hundreds of hours) and the only time I noticed the compression was watching cartoons, where you can see the "Jpeg" look on graduated colour washes (like the blue sky).

I can't bring myself to buy anything from sky. BOC.

And the Tivo is brished aluminium :)

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    TiVo has great picture quality, but it also lets you choose. I record most US imported programs from Sky One etc in medium, as they are usually pretty soft anyway.

The user software is also very important. I find TiVo very easy to use, and the upcoming software update should make it even better. I haven't used Sky+, but I can't imagine it being any better.

9. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the way both TiVo and Sky+ can be receive software upgrades automatically. The December upgrade for Sky+ was good, but I'd like to see more of the features that TiVo has, like changing the recording quality and searching for programmes you may enjoy based on your recording history. Hopefully, these kind of features are software issues that can be added when any bugs are resolved, rather than the hardware.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Recording quality can not be changed in SKY+, the method is totally dependent upon hardware and quite frankly why anyone would want to reduce picture quality for the sake of storage space is beyond me.
    Afterall 99% of digital TV complaints are about mpeg2 compression and the resulting images:)

There is plenty of scope for expansion of the SKY+ functionality but I doubt it will ever match TIVO since they use their subscription to fund the TV listings etc while SKY+ leaves it upto the broadcasters and SKY pocket the cash.