1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo or Pace Twin

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by petrolhead, Jan 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Now I am not a big watcher of terestial TV but want a replacement for the old VCR. I have very few tapes now having slowly replaced with DVDs.

I am wanting better picture quality than I currently get from my VCR.

As I write this I am probable answering my own question but thought I would share my thoughjt process.

Why is the Tivo no longer being made in the UK?

If this is the case then will the service not eventually disappear?

From a dumd recorder point of view which would be the better device.

Any other thought on a postcard please

:D

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    TiVo couldn't sell iced water in a burning hot desert with the adverts they come up with. Also nobody knew what TiVo or any PVR was at the time (Now with the Sky+ push, everybody will have a fair idea.). So Thomson could not make any money selling the boxes, so they stopped. Nobody else was willing to then try in the UK.

Well TiVo say they are actively seeking a new maker for a UK TiVo. Also they are expanding in the USA and I believe into the Far East.
    If a series 2 TiVo is released then I think the EPG will continue for years to come. If not then I think it will still continue for a good few years yet!

So my vote has to be for TiVo, but I'm sure Martin Imber will be along shortly to even the voting out :D

Mark.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TiVo :smashin:

MarkE19 has explained it perfectly.

Well, TiVo UK currently have around 40,000 subscribers - probably about half of them (or more!) paying the £10 per-month sub. (The rest, like me, have invested in lifetime subscriptions for £199 a pop) That's an income stream of £200k per month - just for producing the EPG, which they buy in from Tribune anyway, and paying for 1 or 2 "TiVo Experts" at Sky Customer Services' call centre in Scotland. I can't see them giving that up in a hurry!

TiVo - definitely. The user interface is very easy and intuitive - my other half, who is very poor with machinery, picked it up in half an hour. And once your TiVo gets to know what you like (Thumbs up the good stuff, Thumbs Down the rubbish etc.) it will automatically record programmes for you 24 hours a day with no further intervention :smashin:

If you need any more info, have a look at What is TiVo, or ask :)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll stand in for Mr Imber, I don't like things that pretend to understand me, even my wife doesn't do that! Pace has no subscription. You record manually from an on screen EPG, but in broadcast quality. Straight recording of the mpeg bitstream. Nice. This week I'll be mostly watching the Christmas films. The disc is a bit small, I now have a 60gb drive, but leaving out 2 analogue conversions must be good for PQ.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    So the Tivi converts from Digital to Analog and then back again?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, it's analogue tuned, or RGB scart from you STB

7. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Another :clap: for the Pace Twin.

Sure it will be better with a 7 day EPG which is coming soon but its pretty cool now and the exact bitrate recording is superb!

8. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    TIVO

Had it a week, wish I got one years ago.

Nuff said !

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Twin is excellent with bit stream recording and an easy to use timer screen

10. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Tivo :smashin:

11. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Don't let the 'analogue - digital - analogue' conversion put you off - Tivo's 'BEST QUALITY' mode is as good as SVHS.

Couldn't live without it now!

Tivo :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It'll hang partly on what size screen you've got then. People get very partisan about their own stuff, mostly I just stick in what people ask for, being an installation company. You can see the falloff if you are projecting it, but not on a 32" CRT.

I have an s-vhs recorder, the pace is far better than that, but my picture is 8ft across, and obviously shows up any problems simply cos it's big. I've incorporated a couple of Tivos on 42" plasma setups, and they've been fine, good enough. The problem there is to get top class recording and playback and TV picture all at the same time. And still be able to watch PPV movies.

13. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That comment along could be the death nell for the Tivo.

As most peoples oppinion of SVHS is so poor I would not compare a Tivo to it

Its a 37" Panny Plasma 5

14. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    In my opinion both "BEST" and "High Quality" modes on Tivo are vastly superior to anything I've seen on S-VHS.

15. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally dont care for exacting picture quality, tivo records what i want (and what i might/ might not want), watch it and delete and its good enough to watch on best/high.

If i want something forever and top notch then i will check out the dvd version if available.

The picture signal input for sky etc can vary so much between each household anyhow so why people rave about picture quality of the pace recording on and on and how that something like that implies that it can far outweigh the tivos ease of use and far superior functionality (even the missus learnt it in 5 minutes) is beyond me.

no offence intended to anyone

Cheers

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have you tried the pace? I've played with both, and own the pace.

17. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No offence taken.

The reason I need something better than VCR is that the VCR is aufull on my Panny plasma. I was going to try SVHS but after discussion on this forum I was put off due to it not being much better that VHS

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Have decided on the Pace.

Reasons:

Availability - got it from my local Comet £198
    Use - Just need a dumb recorder

or and of course 2 tuners :)

19. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW, nope only got and played with the tivo. Never tried a pace although considered it before buying the tivo but wanted more than just a dumb recorder and the tivo does the job wonderfully - quality is as good as i would want it considering i record, watch, delete..........

Cheers

20. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    42" and a Tivo !

Love it, and quality is OK on high setting (one down from best)

21. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ScoobyZ,

Welcome to the club :smashin:

Yes, "High" quality is very good - same resolution as "Best" just a slightly lower bitrate.

I use "high" for most stuff, and "best" only for things I might want to archive to DVD.

22. marksm74

marksm74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love a TiVo but I've settled for a Pace Twin. Why? Well the main reason is space. I'm not really bothered about picture quality although I'm sure it's more than acceptable on the TiVo.

But the idea of having everything all in one box, hard disk recorder and two tuners, makes it, at least for me, far more appealing than a TiVo where for the equivalent functionality I would need to connect two Freeview boxes to it. That's three boxes as well as a TV if I wanted to watch a programme on Freeview channel while recording another at the same time.

The only feature I think I would really miss on TiVo is the season pass. One thing I find frustrating about the Twin is that when programmes get changed around in the schedule (Cheers on Channel 4 is a good example of this) I have to keep checking the time of it every day or week. With TiVo it would do this automatically using the season pass feature. But the space I'm saving (and I am very limited with this) more than makes up for this mild inconvience. I'm hoping that when the 7 day EPG on Freeview is up and running without problems perhaps Pace can enhance the software in the Twin so it has a series link or season pass feature.

23. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so with the pace twin, does it have dual record

and what other freeview pvrs are comming out this year?

24. Stealth-F117

Stealth-F117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can record one channel Whilst watching another, something that you cannot do with a Tivo.

I actually have both, and would say if you have Sky then invest in a Tivo (which would have to be off E-bay nowadays). The reason being that you can get a rf2link cable that allows Tivo to change channels for you.

If however you have a Panasonic Tu-20 freeview box in your living room, like we have now, then you have to rely on the infamous Tivo Wands, which work most of the time, but are also known to sometimes fail, and not change channels properly.

I current have the Pace Twin Tuner in our spare room (only purchased it this week - £187 - could not resist), impressed so far, now if they could only get a 7-Day EPG......

25. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have an IDTV any way,

how easy are the pace twin to use, just for my half blind dad,

he just needs it to tape now and again, like corrie, is it easy.