TIVO, one week on, my thoughts

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dUnKle, Jan 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    in a word BRILLIANT

after digital TV and a DVD player its essential ( maybe more so than a DVD player depending on how much TV you watch as normal )

before TIVO I watched very little TV. Most programs I wanted to watch were on when I was either asleep or, now im on shifts, working. Now I have loads to watch and its all stuff I want.

Upon purchasing my TIVO and running through the install routine ( took about two hours in total ) I lept straight in and had a go with the thumbs up and down buttons.

Gave Buffy, Angel, all series of Star Trek, comedy programs such as The Office and Bottom as well as older stuff like The Good Life and Dads Army a range of thumbs ups.

Gave all those programs I dont watch and never want to THREE thumbs down, programs included things such as Ground Force and House Invaders.

Then I found the SEASON PASS option and booked season passes for ALL the new series on Sky One as well as Dempsey and Makepeace.

This was all last Wednesday night, woke up Thursday morning to find about 4 hours of programs recorded by TIVO all of which I wanted to watch. Before watching had another play with the thumb buttons, this time adding things like The Simpsons, X-Men evo and Batman Of The Future to programs I like.

The box recorded loads of things through Thursday and after going out and getting bladdered had Buffy and Angel recorded for me to watch whilst I recovered from the hangover :)

You never have to worry about setting a timer again, the thing is continually learning and getting better, if it has recorded something I dont want to watch, I give it three stars and then delete it.

Also the PAUSE button is not just a gimmick, its used loads by me, need to go get a drink, just press pause, need the loo, hit that pause button. Its great. You can then even FFwd over any add breaks and maybe eventually catch up with the broadcast.

I paid £300 for mine from Currys. I was a hoping for the £200 version but now Ive had it for 7 days I would galdy pay up to £400 its that good. I was going to pay the full up front £200 subs fee, but went for the £10 a month version, its worth the money.

If you are tempted, just, in the word of Nike, DO IT. If you have digital TV of any kind TIVO is a must, never have to watch rubbish again. Tivo gives you what you want.

BRILLIANT

Oh and yes you can watch something that has been recorded whilst TV is recording something else. It soon b'comes clear as soon as you start using it

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Duncan

I have been keeping any eye on all these digital recorders. What do you mean by £200 box?

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Some stores were selling them for £200.

4. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, I can't agree with you more.

I've had mine for a couple of months now (£250 off the net) and I never really watch live TV now. The box records exactly the sort of stuff I like so I just watch the recordings.

One of the great upshots is I never have to endure ads any more.

Oh yes, I upgraded mine today. It has gone from 39 hours basic recording to 289! (98 Best) :)

Cheers

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for your comments. Looks like the cheapest I can get for will be £240 + £8 del from Empire Direct. Telephoned them the other day, and it is in stock. Just got to persuade the wife now.

It was interesting to read that even while you are playing back from Tivo, it will still look for interesting programmes and record them.

£199 lifetime or £10 a month? The way that Tivo word the conditions of lifetime subscibtion suggest that if you were to replace the box after 12 months either to get a new better model (if one came out) or simply because your original had died - a new subscibtion would be required.

Any thoughts?

6. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy a new model Tivo in the future obviously you will need a new lifetime subscription or you keep paying your £10 a month, yer takes your choice.

If you keep your Tivo longer than 20 months you start to be out of pocket on the £10 a month deal. One thing to bear in mind is that the resale value of your Tivo would be more with a lifetime subscription because this transfers with the Tivo ownership.

If people have had problems with their Tivo which were serious enough to require replacement within the warranty, Tivo has transferred the lifetime subscription to the replacement Tivo.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Finally bit the bullet, and ordered Tivo from Empire Direct.

Wife doesn't know yet! I've bought this sooner than I expected cos my recently purchased lounge vcr has delveloped a small fault and the shop has agreed to refund it (£200) - which helps towards Tivo.

Question is will I get sick of having to go into the kitchen or bedroom to watch video I have had to tape because of prog clashes. It might sound slightly sad, but there has been times when all 3 vcr have been recording diff channels. I have obviously always been able to bring the cassette into the lounge to watch these though.

If only Tivo had twin tuners!

Anyway, I want to try and get out of the habit of programming videos - afterall thats the whole point of tivo. I suppose in a way I'm delibrately removing the lounge vcr for this very reason. I know the wife won't mind, cos she prefers to take a tape to bed anyway.

How have other members being getting on? Have you more or less consigned the vcr to the dustbin?

8. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it self adhesive? :D :D :D :D

Pathfinder

9. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And don't forget that the new software (v2.5.5) is due for release very soon now! It's faster, smarter and even better looking :)

John Archer has reported on a mid February release date here.

You lucky, lucky people (TiVo owners, that is!)

Dodgey: What size disks did you use to achieve 289hrs Basic/98hrs Best? I've got dual 100gb drives and get 237hrs Basic/67hrs Best... by my rough calculations you'd have to be using something like 285gb of storage which, at say, 140gb per drive exceeds the specification of the TiVo IDE interface (128gb max)... or are you using a hacked IDE driver? :)

10. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Millhouse.

I have a 100Gb as the A drive and a 160Gb as the B (of which not all is addressed, I know). Tive setting shows 289 Basic, 82 Best

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From continued reading of this particular forum, I think a Tivo is slowly creeping into first place on my 'To Buy Next...' list.

A few questions I can't find the answers to myself:

Where can you get the new drives/discs to increase the record time available, for how much?
    What's the picture quality like, compared to a) a VCR, and b) a DVD player? Does it have much effect on the digital picture?
    What effect does it have on your phone bill, or is the number it calls to update a toll free number? I would expect it to be personally give the £10 a month subscription.
    Can you set what time the Tivo makes the call?
    Where on the net can you get it? I've tried looking but can't find it anywhere but on websites of high street stores, of which I'm not particularly fond.

OK, maybe a little more than a 'few' questions.

Any and all responses greatly appreciated. Cheers.

12. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    No idea regarding replacement/additional hard drives butperhaps you can find your answer here.

Picture quality on the highest setting ( which is at 12 hours recording amount ) is as good as what it would be from a live broadcast and in RGB as well.

The daily update is a free number.

TIVO makes the call usually at around the same time each and every day and tends to be early/late hours and also will check the line first so will not interupt ant calls you are making, you can force the call anytime you want.

Regarding buying it I would say go and buy it from Comet for £300, it may seem alot as you part with the cash but within hours you will far from care.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon,

If I may just add:-

- you can get the hard drives from most on-line stores ie www.simply.co.uk www.novatech.co.uk etc. you will probably looking at :-

-80GB = £120 ish
    -120GB = £180ish
    -160GB = £250ish

you can do the upgrade yourself with the use of a PC and some on-line guides, not too hard so I'm told or get one of the very helpful forum guys to do it for you for about £25 quid. But you do invalidate your warranty.

buying on the net you may want to try www.empiredirect.co.uk £250ish have heard of some at about £199

quality is far better than vcr I tend to record on high (second recording quality) is gives me about 20 hours on the standard 40GB drive but will be upgrading to 120GB as soon as my new drive arrives, this should give about 40hours @ best and 60+hours on high, the basic quality will give about 150hours. Basic is a bit iffy but ok I guess for the odd news recording

The forum as Duncan said is the best place the guys are really helpful and know the tivo inside out far more than the likes of me.

Any thing else I can add just ask, always willing to talk about TIVO, best thing I have added to my system!

Regards

Gary

14. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased two Maxtor 5400RPM 100Gb drives (fast enough for TiVo, slow enough not to generate too much heat) from Novatech about 3 months ago, no complaints and fast delivery.

I would tend to avoid 160gb drives for two reasons - the IDE interface in the TiVo is limited to 128Gb per drive - any capacity in excess of 128Gb will be wasted, however the TiVo may still report it as available (i.e. be able to "see" the excess space but not physically be able to access it) and this may lead to future problems as have been reported on the TiVo Community forums (hardware lock ups etc.)

The best drives (in terms of maximum storage) that are guaranteed to work without problems are 120Gb drives. Maxtor seem to be a recommended brand as far as TiVo's go - as I've said 5400RPM is adequate and keeps the heat down. Faster spinning drives offer little if any benefit. Likewise with increased disk cache.

Dual 100Gb gives 67hrs Best and 236hrs Basic recording. I'd say Basic quality (ie. lowest) approximates to VHS quality - I record mostly on Medium while Best is almost indistinguishable from broadcast.

Software to perform the upgrade is freely available on the internet (links are on the TiVo community page). To do it yourself you only need an Intel PC with IDE interface. You can run the software from a floppy disk or a CD-ROM if you have a burner - the latter makes it easier but isn't essential. The instructions are very straight forward and the entire process should only take about 1 - 1.5 hours from start to finish. Your warranty is voided because you need to open the TiVo to gain access to the disks.

The phone call to TiVo is freephone - it generally makes each phonecall 24hrs after the previous phone call completed, and always late at night/early morning (generally about 2am-ish). As has been stated it will not call if the line is in use and if a phone is used while the TiVo is making it's call the TiVo will drop the line and try again after a short period.

15. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right... I'm more than convinced.

Got some great news in the form of a £300 tax rebate today as well. :D The Gods approve of this one it seems!

I will take a bit of time to do my usual obssessive research, then probably snap one up.

Just out of interest, something that was mulling around in my mind: What does the Tivo do if there are two programmes on at the same time which you have told it you want? For instance, on Thursdays I'd want Angel on Sky and ER on E4... now ER is repeated later on, so would the Tivo record the one that started first, or record Angel and wait for the repeat of ER, can you set this yourself, or is it going to go mad trying to decide which one to record?

Hope that makes sense, just something that was puzzling me. Anyway, off to dream of Tivo...

16. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TiVo alerts you to any programme conflict and gives you the choice of selecting which one to record. You can also set 'season passes' to record regular series either as a first run or as a repeat broadcast, or even both. It records the programmes at whatever time they are broadcast so different timngs of series is not a problem. There is a major upgrade coming shortly which will make TiVo much more flexible. It is already extremely user friendly. The TiVo's at £199 were a one-off from Martin Dawes so expect to pay between £250 and £299 at present, but as Duncan says, it is probably one of the best purchases you will ever make. I have not used my VCR since I bought TiVo although it does have a superb VCR output. Don't hesitate, go for it! Oh! And you are not contributing to Murdoch's empire either.

17. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    The new software has some killer features.

One is 'wishlists'. This lets you set up searches for actor, director, program name etc. Then TiVo will keep an eye on the schedules and either let you know or automatically record programs that match.

So for example, you could set a wishlist up for 'Ridley Scott', and Tivo will record anything by him. This is really useful when a program you want isn't on in the next two weeks (normal TiVo program guide length).

And in my opinion, TiVo has the highest WAF of all my bits and bobs. Pronto is in second place.

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not hesitating, biding my time. Need to pay off all bills and things before I can spend what's left. Should be enough left this month, thanks to the Inland Revenue of all people.

As for Murdoch, someone should drop a widescreen TV, close to his vicinity. You know what I mean, but I can't really wish that on someone without risking a court case.

Again.

Found it for about £250 from Unbeatable btw. A store I personally trust.

19. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I think you'll find that Murdoch is a major investor in TiVo !! Gotta admire his business accumen, foot in both UK PVR fronts.... he cant lose :(

Steve

20. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got a TIVO last weekend and it's brilliant. Works with NTL Digital too (via the adaptor).

One thing I have noticed (I've only watched one recorded prog) is that very occasionally the sound tends to warble for a split second. When I rewind it's not there. Is this something with the software (I'm on version 1.5.2)?