Tivo on Wireless Lan

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Big Jim, Apr 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hi Jim. Until last week I was using a Linksys WET11 (802.11b / 11Mbps) bridge shared between my Xbox and TiVo through a small 5 port switch. Last week I upgraded that to a Linksys 54Mbps wireless bridge and both work flawlessly with a Netgaer 834G WAP.

Shame you didn't ask last week as I sold my 2 as new WET11's for £60 the pair :(

TiVo has absolutely no problem at all working with a wireless link. However, if you wish to stream from it then I would wholeheartedly recommend a cable connection as even a 54Mbps (802.11g) wireless connection struggles.

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

Unfortunately, due to where things are around the house, a cable is right out, so I'm back to 11g as the next best thing.

With wireless do you just get the slower transfer rate, or have you had dropouts while transferring the ty files to the PC with tystudio?

Cheers on the WET11's, though I probably would have passed for 11g stuff.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No dropouts, just rather slow. Bare in mind whilst 802.11g is faster it has poorer range.

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's all right then, slowness I can deal with.

Any other experiences with tivo and wireless bridges?

6. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case anyone is interested, My tivo is now humnming along with a 160G disk, cachecard w/512mb, and is updating over wlan via a WGE101. No problems so far, but I haven't tried video extraction yet...

7. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Jim,

What's the main benefits of using the cachecard? I understand the theory behind it and that it makes the tivo react faster, the only thing that my TiVo does slowly is channel hopping.

I've had my tivo now for 6 months and is totally standard. Due to our 10 day hols next week my wife has bought tivo a 120gig pressie. I'm going to attempt the upgrade tonight. :rolleyes:

I was planning on networking the tivo next, but can't decide if to follow the route that you have taken or to just buy the airnet upgrade card.

Many Thanks

surrey lad :smashin:

8. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cachecard benefits are a faster network interface compared to the turbonet (great for video extraction via tytool - when I get round to installing it), and the ability to use the RAM for caching. Compared to the airnet I would go for one, as you can get the antenna out of the box, it's faster, and you have the caching there if you ever need it.

With the memory in mine, the main benefit seems to be that it snaps through the tivo menu's really fast. I gather that after upgrading moving through 'now playing' and reordering season passes and similar are very slow - increasingly so the more you have on the card. Mine is pretty full now (53 hrs best qual) and it's still really fast.

I found the basic upgrade very very straightforward - follow the hinsdale instructions to the letter with the mfstools2 cd and you will have no problems. print the instructions out first and then go through it and highlight the config you will be using. I would reccomend replacing your 40gb disk with the new 120gb one. you can backup/restore onto it then, testing your backup image at the same time.

It was a bit more involved for me with the 160Gb drive, as the kernel has to be upgraded to use the bit above 137GiB, but even that was straightforward once I had found the ptvupgrade cd and the copykern script on the super long thread on the tivocommunity forum.

Network was very easy to get the card up and connecting, but it was the middle of the night by that point and so I haven't set up a console prompt/tivoweb/ftp/tytool yet. Very good instructions at http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html on getting all the networking stuff going. http://www.silicondust.com/ NIC card install instructions here.

9. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of quotes from Tivocommunity on speed without a cachecard.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=1604350#post1604350

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=1622034#post1622034 Very useful simple instructions on upgrading to the big disk kernel - this is what I most followed for anyone who is interested.

10. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Wow!!! Thanks Jim your a star.

I've got the pc lid off, instructions printed and relavent points highlighted and tivo is also looking rather naked without its lid. :D

I'll atempt this after the footie ;)

One last question, you recomend using the new 120gig hd as drive A and use the existing 40gig as drive B?

Many Thanks

surrey lad

11. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    football. a*se.

I would go just the 120 for the moment, it's easy enough to add the 40gb later, and it means you have the 40gb as well as your backup (DO make one)if there are any problems. you never know, you might fancy another 120 soon...

12. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Don't mention the footie!!

I did struggle at first, at 1am i was close to throwing in the towel but then all of a sudden the penny dropped and I was off again. :suicide:

Drive A is now 120gig and Drive B is 40gig(old drive A) with no lost of recordings or settings. I'll replace drive B with a lets say, 160-200g when I come back of my hols.

It's now 4am and I need some sleep, got to be up for 6 for work. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jim

surre............ :boring:

13. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hey, and I made it to work early.

Great sense of achievement!!

Its not every morning I walk into work with a big grin on my face :D