Tivo - no line of sight - help

BOOMERANGBUBB

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice?

This weekend I am expecting my TiVo install but the TiVo box will have no line of sight, will the supplied remote still work? I have read somewhere that it is now possible to use your smartphone/iPhone/iPad to control TiVo without a line of sight... Is this true? If yes how? If not, is it possible any other way?

Many thanks for any help

Boom

MDPlatts

Novice Member
not yet, but its coming - you'll need to get something like a magic-eye IR sender/receiver to give you line of sight (google it).

Why do you not have it elsewhere/hidden ? - VM will run a cable from where it comes into the building to where the tv is for you - it doesnt have to go where the router is

dante01

Distinguished Member
not yet, but its coming - you'll need to get something like a magic-eye IR sender/receiver to give you line of sight (google it).

Why do you not have it elsewhere/hidden ? - VM will run a cable from where it comes into the building to where the tv is for you - it doesnt have to go where the router is
The MagicEye doesn't work with VM cable boxes as is and needs a TVLink + in addition to the TVEye in order to power it. The MagicEye gets its power from the RF2 output on a digital satellite receiver.

Another solution is one of the marmitek wireless remote extenders:

Powermid XL: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

MARMITEK POWERMID LONG RANGE WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

POWERMID DUAL POWER IR SENDER KIT SPECIAL OFFER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Unlike the MagicEye, these extenders do not require an RF output power source or a convertor for non SKY boxes.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have read somewhere that it is now possible to use your smartphone/iPhone/iPad to control TiVo without a line of sight... Is this true? If yes how? If not, is it possible any other way?

You will need to Virgin TiVo app loaded up onto your phone to control the TiVo. I'm unsure, but think such an app is yet to be released by Virgin although they are planning to release one?

You need to connect the TiVo to your wireless router via the ethernet port on the rear of the TiVo. You then talk to the TiVo via your wireless network from your iPhone or smart phone.

Last edited:

t11rmh

Novice Member
You can also control your box from a pc with the right app. Again the box will need to be added to your network and be set up to allow for remote control.

Teflon

There is already a 3rd party iPod / ipad app for controlling Tivo - It's called "Peanut", emulates the remote handset, and is free. It also provides a qwerty keyboard for inputting searches etc.

It's not perfect, but it should do the trick until the official app is released.

BOOMERANGBUBB

All,

Thank you very much for your time and replies, :thumbsup: it would seem that my preferred method for controlling TiVo is available, I've not heard of Peanut but it sounds like it will do the job for now...

Teflon, have you had any experience with the Peanut App? Also, is it easy to set up? Just downloaded the app but unsure how to connect to TiVo?

Last edited:

Teflon

To be honest, I haven't tried it. I have downloaded it from the Apple app store out of curiosity, but my Tivo isn't connected to home network, so can't try it out.

I was also browsing the forums over at Virgin Media the other day, and found a thread where someone had got the US Tivo app downloaded and working in the UK. May also be of intereset to you? Here's the link: iPad TiVo App - Fantastic - Help & Support Forum

Hope this helps,

Cliff

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
All,

Thank you very much for your time and replies, :thumbsup: it would seem that my preferred method for controlling TiVo is available, I've not heard of Peanut but it sounds like it will do the job for now...

Teflon, have you had any experience with the Peanut App? Also, is it easy to set up? Just downloaded the app but unsure how to connect to TiVo?
I've used it briefly and it seems to work fine (your TiVo must be connected to your home network first). Basically has all the remote buttons and also you can set up favourite channels so you can switch to them quickly.

Overall - does the basic job :)

macnology

Standard Member
I found that I don't need line of site for the Tivo to pick up the IR signals, , I have my Tivo behind me on a shelf exposed (no door covering it) but you naturally point the remote towards the TV (in front of were I sit) and have had no issues with any of the commands, so I would try it as it comes first before you go out and spend on other equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom