TIVO - Is it best to buy a one disk or 2 disk version?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Dekim, Feb 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dear All,

I would appreciate it if you would give any comments on which is the best to go for a 2 disk or 1 disk TIVO?

I understand from another thread that most new TIVO's are now 1 disk versions.

I will more than likely want to update the internal disk at some point to get more capacity.

I have the choice of either waiting for new stock at a local store or getting an older one from my local Curries which has been in stock for quite a bit and might be a 2 disk version.

Any comments would be appreciated

Dek

2. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends :)

Some of the older two disk versions had a NICAM fault (rectified during the 6021 run I believe) which requires (at no expense to yourself) for the box to be taken away and repaired - total duration should be under a week (mine took that long but I could only have it removed/returned on a Saturday).

New single disk models don't have the fault.

Note that the NICAM fault is only a problem if you receive analogue transmissions - if you have digital cable you won't be aware of the problem since you'll be receiving stereo via the SCART. If you are on digital cable and don't need the RF input then I'd get an older model (pre 6021).

If you don't want the NICAM problem try to get a box with a series number of 6021 or higher, but then you may end up with a a single disk unit and will have to source the missing bracket for your upgrade from elsewhere.

3. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tx Milhouse,

Ended up buying one today. It is sn 6023. No idea wahts inside but cant wait to get it set up this weekend.

Cheers

Dek with his new toy :)