1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO IR problems?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Setenza, Aug 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Please forgive me if I'm reiterating an old chestnut.

I have just bought (we'll within the last couple of days) a TIVO box. It works fine apart from actually turning on my Grundig Sky DigiBox.

It can happily change channels if the sky box is already on, but if you turn the sky box off and set up a timed recording, you'll get "x" amount of blank recording. Alldue to the fact that it cannot turn the damn thing on.

Now I've tried all the preset compatible codes, on all the fast, medium and slow settings. Nada, no change.

I've spoken to TIVO and got a "we'll it's a case of trial and error" sort of answer.

Yes I know I could leave the Sky DigiBox on all the time, but that is a poor solution to me. I work in the IT industry and see far to much of this going on IE products that are not 100% reliable/functional be marketed.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks.

2. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Xusia,if you pop over to www.tivocommunity.com and go to the uk section an click on f.a.q. there is a section on grundig codes,that should be able to help ;)

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks Bone Daddy. I checked out the forum but it got a little to technical for my liking.

TIVO has just updated the software overnight, and this has made some improvement to the IR facility (apart from inserting 00 before transmitting, which I had to remove myself. Don't you hate the way it changes your settings without asking).

What I have a problem with now is the picture quality, which seems to have horizontal lines, scrolling down in the background (like a monitor that has been set at an incorrect refresh rate).

So far my good opinion of this product is being jaded by the problematic and unituitive setup.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ........think it's defective.
    I would try another Tivo, although PQ isn't Skyplus+ good, none of what you describe is normal.
    It's a known fumble Grundig / Tivo combo, much frustration ahead....
    My Tivos are used :
    1. Connected to ITV Digital Nokia 9850..........variable dependency.
    2. Connected to Panasonic 30 Sky digibox.....dependable but fiddly.
    3. Connected to Sony 760 Sky digibox........dependable but fiddly.

Skyplus+ is a no-brainer.

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Well, I ended up pulling the TV stand forward and rewiring the entire of my A/V system. I'm a network manager by trade and I often find that checking the obvious first (IE loose cable etc) can oten put a problem right. That and changing the RGB output options to pure PAL.

Finally after 2 and 1/2 days, I've got the damn device working. Picture and IR issues all resolved. Made a test recording (Lovejoy for gods sake!) and it was very exceptible. Like the playback of material while it's still recording!

I do think this is a good product, but pity the lay person who has to set this up, as I didn't think it was particularly easy.

Wouldn't be surprised if I find myself upgrading the hard drive at some point, as I think available space is going to vanish fast.

Thanks for all help.

XOD