1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo IR and digibox

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by graham.myers, Feb 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my TiVo Thursday afternoon for £199 inc delivery, arrived Friday morning :)

Anyway, plugged it in Saturday morning and it took upto 3pm to finish doing its funky stuff. During Sunday it upgraded to 2.5.5 of the software - excellent!

Now a couple of questions....

The IR cable has two IR output units - why? can it drive two devices?

My wife is concerned that the TiVo requires the digibox to be on all the time - heat generation, wasting electricity etc.

Now the new release 2.5.5 enables me to use Grundig 20016 codes to send the $ky button prior to channel changes. This will allow me to place the digibox in standby until TiVo decides to record something. However is there anyway of putting the digibox back into standby after its finished being recorded. I know if I leave it long enough it'll crash and go into standby anyway :-(

Which is best leaving in standby or leaving turned on. what is the power consumption (and hence cost) of leaving the box on. She's concered that it'll burst into flames and burn our house down.

I'm struggling to pacify her and she can't get past this to see what an amazing piece fo kit TiVo is.

help !

2. semtex

semtex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, TiVo can drive two devices.. eg a Sky Digibox and a Cable box. If you just use one of the emitters, make sure you tape up the other one or tuck it away somewhere where it can't sent spurious signals.

As for putting the digibox into standby, no, you don't want or need to do this. Even in standby, the digibox is still technically on and will use electricity. However the amount is neglible in the big scheme of things. In other words, in one month the Digibox will use less electricity than the cost of a pint of beer :D (I'm sure someone will give you a more accurate explanation!).

As long as you don't block any of the ventillation slots, your digibox won't overheat.

My wife hates all the gadgets I bring into the house... except TiVo! She much prefers the Tivo Live Guide over the Sky EPG and loves that TiVo automatically records all her favourite programs for her. Very cool!

Ian

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'er indoors has accepted (reluctantly) that putting the boxes into standby doesn't save the planet. Althought she still insists I wrote the email threads I printed off from the TiVo community forum.

She hasn't got used to it recording what it thinks she likes. She says things like "I better stop watching that channel or it'll record everything". she hasn't grapsed the thumbs up/down concept yet. She'll learn :)