TiVo - if you've got it, what's it like?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by HT Dude, Dec 27, 2000.

Tags:
  1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting it to record kids programs like Tweenies, Teletubbies n that so we don't have to keep forking out for videos for the bab.
    That's the excuse I'm shovelling to the missus, anyhow.
    So is it any good in the real world? Worth £600?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Difficult to answer.
    I saw one on display in one of our shops.
    At the time we could do nothing with it as it wasn't 'online' as it were.
    However, first impression was it was 'nice-but-pricey'. I liked it and what it could do, but I'm not sure the monthly debit makes it that attractive a proposition, yet.
    The potential is there.

Alas, a TIVO will mean you'll have to record more! As you'll be recording all the Tweenies etc, they'll be wanting re-run upon re-run upon re-run.......until you'll have to archive to tape anyway. Can you ever win? [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

3. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOVE the idea, most especially of some sort of TV displayed GUI menu of the recorded items ... but the subscription or the £200 up front puts me right off.

I simply don't watch that much TV through the week. When Sky1 gets going with some new series, and later in the year when the WSB/MotoGP/F1 seasons kick off, my TV viewing rockets. I think I'm paying ONdigital a few quid a month to watch Andromeda on Sky1 every Monday it's on...

So if I could have the ability to access the schedule without paying such a high subscription, I'd go for one. www.digiguide.com have a v.neat TV schedule thing you can subscribe to for a mere £4.99. All I want is a USB connection to my PC from a TiVo and compatibility with DigiGuide's data, and I'd be happy!

Oh, and I'd want more HD space in it. Ever since getting into Home Cinema my viewing standards have crept up and I don't think, although I haven't seen it, I'd want to use the lowest recording quality any more, which means 10hrs is a bit limited, especially if I tape a weekend's motorracing during the summer which can EASILY exceed that in total viewing time.

Sorry, just some thoughts, no hard facts at all...

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Stuart, I got my Digiguide via www.freeguide.co.uk and have never paid a penny. Why do you pay?

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a lot of bugs in TiVo at the moment - have a look at the TiVo UK forum at www.avsforum.com

If you have Sky digital I suggest waiting for the Pace XTV box. This will have dual tuners and record in perfect digital quality.

6. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FreeGuide?! New one on me. Errr, actually, I've only just started using DigiGuide and it's only just started reminding me I need to register it. For £4.99 a year, it's nice value, unlike the TiVo subscription (IMHO).

Couldn't find DigiGuide from FreeGuide but I didn't look too hard either. No search box that I noticed.

Interesting though!

------------------
    Stuart Booth

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart,

For more space on the Tivo you could try doing something like what was done to a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox in the below article (it's an MP3 player using a hard drive). The Tivo reputedly has slots for two HDD's inside, so perhaps an upgrade to a couple of nice 75 Gb IBM drives would sort you for space for a while...
    (link also below)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/00q4/001110/index.html
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_IBM_Hard_Drives_37.html

Of course you would need a VERY understanding retailer to take back a knackered Tivo and £600's worth of HDD's if it didn't work... [​IMG]

Jim

8. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! Yes! A friend was just telling me about the Creative Nomad/Jukebox mods on 1st Jan in fact. 20Gb IBM laptop HD in place of the 6Gb it ships with?! That's half my entire CD collection in my pocket! Fantastic!!

I'm not sure here, but I was under the impression that that handy HD upgrade for the TiVo had been stamped upon and it no longer works with the UK model?

If anybody's had a peek inside their TiVo, please post some insight into this suggestion of Big Jim's.

Think I'd want some of those IBM 75GXP jobbies in my own machine though. Why do I NEVER have enough disc space?!

------------------
    Stuart Booth

9. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid that it is currently impossible to upgrade the UK TiVo because it uses two hard disks that are somehow coupled and no one has worked out how to uncouple them. This is the same as in the States - they have only found a way to upgrade single drive machines.

Considering all the bugs (sound warble, picture judder, guide data inaccuracies) I would steer clear of TiVo for the time being - especially at £400 + £10/month or £600 with lifetime subscription.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Hee hee excellent. Why stick with the original design if you can upgrade! I love this stuff!

The Neo25 drive (similar to the nomad) actually has the option of different sized drives and a driveless version for home upgrade. Kinda like it. Its chunky and industrial looking in a retro way.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so its not quite a convientient as TiVo, but you can get a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR (Personal Video Recorder) for £230 for PCs.

On-board MPEG2 encoding won't take up **** loadsa CPU, it supports very high quality capture (1600x1200) from built in TV tuner (and FM tuner for that matter) and VCD burning for archiving your stuff (remeber most VCD's will play on DVD players aswell. Also got a 'pause-live-TV' function, like TiVo.Hey they even threw in s-video and composite inputs for external source capture...

If anyone knows anything about this please lemme know about it!! There are no reviews of it yet (cos its new?)

Could be a good alternative to TiVo (oh, it also supports time recording) if ya got the PC to put it in (LOADSA disc space!)

Please post any thoughts, or critisisms!
    Cheers!