TiVo Hum - any advice?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Messiah, May 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Isn't it just typical. I sold my brand new 'spare' TiVo only 2 weeks ago and now mine is giving an awful hum from the centre speaker and sub. The hum disappears if I switch to a non-TiVo source but any source routed through the TiVo and the hum is there.

I have put a ferrite core on the mains lead and after switching other items off in the house resorted to running a mains lead down from an upstairs socket and plugging the TiVo into that. Hum still there.

Anyone any ideas if this is likely to be a faulty TiVo or the result of an ecternal influence (oh I hope so!)

Thanks.

PS A bottle of your favourite tipple for anyone who helps me solve it :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    And very nice it is too. :D

My guess would be a fault in the audio cable from TiVo to amp. Try replacing that.

That'll be a bottle of JD then please :smashin:

Mark.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No. not that. My TiVo is connected to my plasma tuner box via SCART and I have tried 3 SCARTS and all the same.

Any other suggestions? And, please (marke19), don't rub it in :)

4. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Neil,

Probably a completely weird coincidence, but did the trouble start the day you set up your Axim ?

Is there some kind of leakage or interference going on from the remote that only the Tivo is picking up (which would continue via battery even though the Axim charger is unplugged) ?

:confused: :confused:

Kieran

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    What about audio leads to the amp? Do you have phono leads plugged into the TiVo or the plasma that take the sound to your amp? If sound is via plasma then try connecting TiVo directly to amp and see if that stops the hum.

Mark.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No, Axim is being used in a different room. I did unplug things like my Pansonic DECT phones and Linksys wireless hub as these were bought around the time the hum started, but didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

I am, unfortunately, starting to think the unit has developed the dreaded hum that has been talked about on TiVoCommunity (site down at the moment) as it is on all inputs and with all sources switched off but the TiVo, Tuner box and Amp on it appears the moment you plug the SCART cable into the TV out SCART socket and disappears as soon as you disconnect the SCART lead.

Just my luck eh? :mad:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    The audio is passed from the TiVo to the tuner box via the SCART leads with the Tuner box connecetd to the amp via phonos. All other sources into the Tuner box (DVD, DVD-R, terrestrial RF) are fine, it is only the TiVo input which exhibits the hum.

If it goes on much longer the TiVo will be redundant anyway as I have stopped using it at the moment cos it is so bad. :mad:

I will try a pair of phones direct from TiVo to amp though and see if it is still there. Will that automatically disable the sound through the SCART lead though????

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    No, but you could always remove the pins on the scart that carry the sound!

Mark.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, I've tried just about everything including ringing TiVo CS who say they are not aware of any issues with TiVo giving a hum. Strange, as there's quite a few posts on TC that talk about it.

Tried connecting a pair of phonos direct from TiVo to amp and that cures it but I cannot use it like that due to the plasma tuner box also neeing to provide an audio feed to the amp for terrestrial TV watching.

Then connected a SCART lead direct from TiVo to a portable TV and the hum is there too. So, it looks like it is a fault with the SCART outputs on the TiVo. Grrrr!!! It just had to happen now didn't it. And I doubt very much I'll find another one. Oh well, maybe my TiVo days are over. Real shame. Just hope we see a series 2 before too long :)

10. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know this is a bit too obvious, but have you tried a different scart lead?

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    As I said why don't you connect the phonos from TiVo and from the plasma and remove the pins that carry the sound on the scart lead from TiVo to the plasma. Not ideal, but must be better than dumping TiVo and going back to a VCR. :nono:

Mark.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Because when I then wish to watch terrestrial TV (not via TiVo) I will either have no sound or double sound (signal via TiVo to amp phonos and signal via tuner box to amp via phonos)

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Have you not got a spare input on your amp?

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yes plenty, but I cannot assign two audio sources to one video source. If I could I would also need to switch audio sources everytime I changed video input on the plasma.

ferris57 - thanks mate. Yes, I've tried 4 different SCART leads and they are all the same. I am sure it is a fault with the TiVo as it also does it when I connect the TiVo directly to a portable TV with a SCART lead.

I remember reading on Tivocommunity (before the site went down) that others have experienced this hum and had it fixed if machine under warranty. Mine is 15 months old so out of warranty now. My only alternative now is to connect phonos direct from TiVo to amp and be unable to watch channels 1-4 directly on the plasma (well, without any sound anyway).

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    That most definitely would not happen. Not used a VCR for over 10 years. I just never used to record anything until TiVo came along. Strange...but true.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Just had a look on www.maplin.co.uk and they have phono switch boxes.
    One of these might be a solution. Yet again not ideal but it should work.

Mark.

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks Mark. I think I'll give CS anther go tomorrow and see what my options are to get it fixed. Really don't want a switch box which will mean manually switching when I wish to change inputs on the plasma.

I may also see if I can set the pronto to change the audio input for the same video source when I switch. I may end up confusing the AV kit (and myself :) ) but think I'll give it a go.

Sod's law eh?

18. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    One thought, there is a company that do TiVo repairs. If CS are no help then give them a try.

www.pacelink.co.uk - just follow the TiVo link. Repair prices are from £35 - £150
    Better than a silver door stop!

Mark.

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks Mark. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I guess your new one is just perfect eh? :mad: :)

20. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well no complaints so far :devil:

Good luck with Pacelink. With a bit of luck it will be a simple (as in cheap :rolleyes: ) repair.

Mark.

21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks guys. Turns out it's not the TiVo after all (Phew!). It's a ground loop hum being introduced somewhere (mo ideas where from). Was initially being introduced via the ground connection on the DVI connection from plasma screen to tuner box. Temporary fix is that I have removed the earth wires from the screen power socket but that then introduced the hum from the DVD player so have done the same in that plug (Sshh! don't tell any electricians).

Over the next few weeks I'm gonna start a process of elimination on the consumer box in the garage removing earth wires one at a time in a effort to identify the faulty circuit.

Thanks for all the advice.