Tivo help please

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by THX THX THX, Nov 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well just recieved my tivo this morning (thanks jc1) and have not got a clue how to use it (instruction manual is absolutely crap):(
    All I want to do is connect up my free to view box and dvd player to it, but can't record from them when they are selected (i.e. vcr/aux input)
    Do you need to reset the box and let it dial out to change the settings? Also, i keep getting this message that the tivo has expiredd and that I must contact tivo??

Any ideas anyone for a tivo virgin?

Cheers,

THX THX THX

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi THX :)

Before you can use the TiVo properly you need to do 2 things:-

1. Get a subscription.
    I sincerely hope that whoever sold you the TiVo explained this, as it's no better than a dumb VCR without a subscription. You can subscribe monthly for £10 per month, or pay £199 for a "lifetime" sub. Obviously once you've had the box for > 20 months that option becomes a bargain!! :) To subscribe you have to call TiVo CS on 08702 41 84 86

2. Run Guided Setup.
    This, as you suspect, means that the TiVo will call out to the central server and update your setup etc. for the input devices (eg. Sky, Freeview, Cable) that you have selected. It needs to know your postcode to so that you get the correct set of data for your area. This takes an hour or so, and once your subscription is activated (usually overnight after you make the call to TiVo CS) the next "daily call" will populate your programme guide with full guide data for your area. You can also force a "daily call" the next morning if you're in a hurry! :)

I expect if your TiVo is not "new" then it will have already upgraded to the latest software release (2.5.5.x). You can check this from the System Information screen.

Full user guides for the current version of software (which is much better than the 1.5 version the printed manuals refer to) can be downloaded here (2mb PDF file)

Further information and help on the use of the only true PVR available in the UK can be found on the TiVo Community (UK) Forum

Don't worry, once you get over the initial hurdle of getting it setup, you won't believe how cooool it is :smashin:

3. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Blindlemon!
    Nope I did not know that you have to have a sub to get the best use out of it, but no matter.
    The tivo is not new (bought it from this forum) but i'm going to have to get a modem cable before I can run the guided setup.
    Couple of q's, can I record from my dvd to the tivo and from my freeview box to the tivo, or do I have to use the rf input and the onboard tuner?
    Anyway, i'll give the subs line a call and get subscribed and see how I get on.
    Another small point, does upgrading the hard disk in any way affect the service that i will get from tivo's monthly subscription?
    (will tivo be ringing up saying "what have you done to your tivo box" etc etc...)

Thanks for the info.

THX THX THX

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX,

You should have received a modem cable and another black little cable with a couple of IR blasters on the end along with your box. If not then you might be able to get some from TiVo CS or somebody on the TiVo forum may have a spare set for a couple of squids.

Alternatively, why not give the seller a call and ask him if he can send you the missing leads? Seems to me like he ought to (and the IR blaster won't be any use to him without a TiVo anyway!)

You can record from a DVD to TiVo, but this isn't a supported option. Basically you have to plug the DVD in the Aux scart and set TiVo to make a manual recording from a channel it thinks is on the scart input.

As you have Freeview then you will probably choose the Digital Terrestrial STB and Analogue Tuner (or something like that!) option in GS. This sets TiVo up to expect a Freeview STB on the Aux scart and an aerial input for the onboard tuner.

Upgrading the drive does void your warranty - but as you have a 2nd hand unit that won't make much difference anyway. TiVo themselves don't care what size hard drives you have installed, or whether you have upgraded with a wireless network card or any of the other hacks discussed in the TiVo forums - as long as you have a subscription they're happy ;)

5. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's brilliant, thanks for that!
    Better get buisy now then. Oh the delights of tivo to come (well I hope anyway!)

Cheers,

THX THX THX

6. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will not be disappointed :smashin:

7. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now fully up and running with tivo! :D
    What can I say but WOAH:laugh:
    To everyone who raves about tivo and how good it is, yes you were right all along.:smashin:

THX THX THX

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Now all you need to do is set yourself up on www.tivocommunity.com and really find out what you can do with a TiVo.
    Oh, and welcome to the club :hiya: but where have you been until now? You've not been useing one of those antiquated VCR things :suicide: have you? :nono:

Mark.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be sure to check out the list of hack codes on the TiVo Community forum and implement the 30-second skip. It makes bypassing ads very painless.

It also helps you realize which programmes have the longest ad breaks. (8 skips? That's 4 minutes of ads!)

Also, there are some good threads on making the most of Suggestions. As a rule of thumb, you don't want to over-thumb any programmes. (3 thumbs-up will make TiVo try to record just about every instance of the show and 3 thumbs-down may keep TiVo from recording any programmes in that genre)

10. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The longest I've found is CSI on Living. 13 skips is the norm!