1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Hard Disks

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm in the process of building a PC for the kids with bits left over from several PC projects and I've a couple of Hard Disks that came out of my Tivo when I upgraded it, a 30Gb and 15Gb both Quantum Fireballs. I thought I might be able to use them in the PC but they're only showing as 9Mb (yes It's not a typo) drives? How do I realise the full capacity? Is this because TIvo is Linux based and they've been formatted under Linux, if so how do I format them so they're useable?

Hope you can help.

Steve

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try a win 98 boot floppy and fdisk, remove all the partitions and start again OR put the drive into a w2k or xp machine as a slave and use the drive management utility to reformat.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi John,

After several hours of browsing I found out that the drives are locked by Tivo, there's a utility called Qunlock but I'm buggered if I can get it to work :rolleyes: No floppy and tried in this PC under XP with no joy :(

Steve

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nightmare, I haven't any experience of TIVO myself I was just going by what I did when I replaced the drive in my Sky+.

When you saynot recognised by the XP machine, what about at bios level, can you see the drive there?

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a utility from the Tivo forum which is "allegedly" a bootable CD image so you can burn a bootable CD which is a bunch of tools that allows you to tweak your Tivo disk, as a bonus it unlocks the drives, hopefully!!

Downloading at the moment but on a 56k line it's painful.

Probably wont finish today kids want to play!!

Steve

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a little seagate utility for cleaning a drive and fully writing 0's. I have it on floppies but maybe you could just burn it to a cd then use it

Ad

7. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorted!! The mega utility on the Tivo site did the job. Problem now is whilst installing XP it does the initial install then reboots and goes back to boot from CD begin install again.

Cant help but think I've done something wrong with jumpers and primary/secondary/master/slave etc...... late now (very late/heavy night last night) cant think any suggestions?

Steve

(Gawd I hate technology :rolleyes: )

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,460
    i think when the drives are in the TivO, they may be set to cable select, just change them to master/slave and it should be ok