TiVo from Currys - Service No. 601F - Is it OK?

R

Ray Fox

I have recently bought a Thomson TiVo from Currys.
The serial number does not contain a numerical sequence anywhere in the range 6020 to 6023.

However the third set of digits in the TIVO Service number is 601F.
Presumably this makes it a very old machine.

I am experiencing some crackling/Hissing on terrestrial sound - do I have a duff box? Would it better to to take it back and exchange for a newer model or seek the free repair.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the 6020 was the first serial number, with yours being soon after. That isn't a problem, in that their is only one model of TIVO - although there have been some changes to the hard drives. Mine for instance has 2 drives, a 15 and a 30 gig.

As for the sound problem, this is a well documented problem with earlier machines and NICAM sound. Mine was much improved after it upgraded to 1.5.2 from 1.5.1.

Your best place for info on these sorts of queries is:

TIVO Community

EffTee

601 is one of the older models, well before 6020,6021, etc.

I have a 6023, which I beleive is one of the most recent.

You will almost certainly have the Nicam decoder problem, which the software does NOT cure. If you have SkyDigital or ItvDigital connected to the box and don't bother recording from terrestrial, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Ring Tivo to arrange to have the Nicam decoder replaced free of charge. Don't be concerned that you have an old version, as there is really no difference. In fact, some would consider the older ones, which have two drives (30Gig + 15Gig) are easier to upgrade. The more recent ones, starting at 6021 have just one 40Gig drive.

Hope this helps.

Although there is only one model of TiVo (PVR10UK) there have been several versions due to minor improvements to the basic hardware. I think 601E was the version, then 601F, 6020, 6021, 6022 and (currently) 6023.

The major changes have been with the number of drives - from about 6021 TiVo moved from a double to a single drive. All versions upto 6020 had a fault decoding NICAM steroe (one or more of the following: cracks/pops/hisses, mono only, no sound at all) - this is fixed with a free repair.

Mine is a 601F with the NICAM fix - it's just as good as the later versions, in fact if you plan on upgrading it's better as it already has the bracket for the second drive which the newer versions don't have (you can use wire ties to hold the second drive in place or order one from the States!)

Thanks for the info.

I will stick with the present TiVo and get the Nicam fix.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom